Accident.Avoiding a deer is my fault.

gengiscant 19:21 01 Aug 2008

Traveling from Romano Bridge to West Linton,a deer jumped out in front of me,I avoided the deer but sideswiped a bridge,causing,a lot of damage to my nearside.
This was in January.The company has a policy of your fault you pay £125.

6 months later I get my wage slip and discover that I have acquired a bank loan to the tune of £125.On phoning the payroll department I was told that the deduction was because of the accident.

I tried to explain I drive around the borders of Scotland daily,this is an occupational hazard,am I now responsible for the beasts that choose to cross the road .

I prattle,should the company have interfered with my wages,am I not entitled to know ,why sums are being removed,my boss seems to think otherwise.

octal 19:28 01 Aug 2008

I think it might be wise to read the employment contract you should have signed.

rdave13 19:32 01 Aug 2008

As octal, so next time hit the deer, report to police and your wonderful employer will get a bigger repair bill and it won't be your fault.

gengiscant 19:40 01 Aug 2008

My contract states,I will pay excess for any accident deemed my fault.

Pine Man 20:07 01 Aug 2008

Lots of drivers have accidents swerving to avoid 'black dogs' that get away unscathed;-)

Maybe your employers think you are using the same 'excuse'.

spuds 20:39 01 Aug 2008

The government have recently outlawed the calculating of tips as part of the wage in eating houses. I am not sure whether the practise of the petrol pump kiosk attendant, having to pay for drive-offs as also been outlawed. Perhaps having to pay the company vehicle insurance excess might be the next thing outlawed.

Killing a deer around our way, costs between £150 and £175. Injuries to any deer's could cost more, usually the vets and rangers bill.

gengiscant 18:50 02 Aug 2008

noted.

DieSse 19:38 02 Aug 2008

As per octals post - unless you have signed a contract to the contrary - unauthorised deductions from your salary are illegal.

If the accident is deemed to be your fault, you should expect to get some explanation of that.

I trust you made a report in the first place explaining that it was not your fault? In which case the deduction is unauthorised and at this stage possibly illegal.

It may depend on the exact wording of the "your fault" clause in the contract.

wiz-king 20:16 02 Aug 2008

Would have been cheaper to hit the deer and flog it to a friendly local butcher - no! not the local Tescos.

rdave13 20:45 02 Aug 2008

Hitting a deer isn't that simple. It results in the front grill bent inwards, bonnet buckled, windscreen cracked and a few dents in the roof. Boot lid unscathed. Going back to check on the animal it struggled up unsteadily,at first, on it's legs, gave us the devil's stare and buggered off into the forest at high speed. Cost my mate's insurance a packet.

laurie53 20:57 02 Aug 2008

"Would have been cheaper to hit the deer and flog it to a friendly local butcher"

Don't know the law down south, but in Scotland I understand that it is against the law to pick up a deer you have killed.

Anyone coming along after you may pick it up, but not the one who did it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?