Abuse in Eire

interzone55 17:22 20 May 2009

After 9 years the report into sexual and physical abuse in catholic children's homes has been published.

Despite damning findings there will be no prosecutions because the main culprits, the Christian Brothers, managed to sue the commission in 2004 to keep the identities of all of its members, dead or alive, unnamed in the report.

Now how was that allowed to happen?

click here

click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:23 20 May 2009

The RC church above the law...well I'm astounded. Any members of the RC crew should be hanging their heads with the shame of being associated with the Pope's henchmen and should be giving their priests a right old ear bashing on Sunday.

If I were a member, and wild horses would never drag me, I would be eyeing up Satanism 9and the legion of associated Demons) as the more moral option of devoting one's life to ethereal beings. I am also interested in what Ye Pope has to say about this as he seems to be very good at gobbing off on every other subject under the sky. Also I stand much more chance of hurtling through the Pearly Gates for a post-life chat with the Sky Pilot than any of this morally bankrupt, inwardly protective lot.

G

Quickbeam 00:45 21 May 2009

"Now how was that allowed to happen?"... Closed shop circles.

The Catholic Church has a lot to answer for over the centuries for acts that were done in the 'name of God'. I really can't understand why it's still got a dedicated following in the 21st century.

dagnammit 01:01 21 May 2009

"........and should be giving their priests a right old (R)ear bashing on Sunday"

I fixed that line for you. :)

ronalddonald 07:49 21 May 2009

be the rc should legally closed down because of illegal sinister faith and sinister teachings and becasue the government cant take these culprits to court and neither can the victims

ronalddonald 07:53 21 May 2009

wrong that the BBC wouldn't allow the victims to attend the news conference to have their say.

interzone55 08:54 21 May 2009

"Damm wrong that the BBC wouldn't allow the victims to attend the news conference to have their say."

It wasn't the BBC that wouldn't allow the victims attend the news conference. The BBC website is merely reporting the conference was held by the Commission that compiled the report...

interzone55 08:55 21 May 2009

"I really can't understand why it's still got a dedicated following in the 21st century."

Stockholm Syndrome

click here

Jim Thing 13:03 21 May 2009

I really don't see how the Stockholm Syndrome can be relevant here. Surely the appalling abuse suffered by so many children was allowed to continue for so long almost entirely because of the Irish people's misplaced respect for, and blind obedience to, their clergy.

Things have now moved on a bit, and more open-minded and rational ways of thinking are beginning to creep in around the edges of Irish society. Nevertheless it would appear that Ireland still has a long way to go — witness the preposterous success of the church in persuading the authorities that its legions of abusers should neither be named in the report nor prosecuted. Nevertheless I sense a general realisation that the church has well and truly shot itself in the foot, that it will no longer be able to sweep its guilty secrets under its rug, and that it must never again be allowed to occupy the position of trust and misplaced respect that it was once able to exploit so cynically.

Perhaps? When the next generation comes to power?

interzone55 14:26 21 May 2009

Stockholm Syndrome was meant as a joke, regarding the religion still having a dedicated following, and in no way directed at the victims of these long term atrocities...

Jim Thing 16:28 21 May 2009

I certainly didn't assume you were having a go at the victims, I just didn't get the joke (Me Bit Thick). Sorry!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?