Abu Hamza has finally been dealt with

Forum Editor 23:44 09 Jan 2015

and will spend the rest of his life in an American prison.

I still can't help wondering why we couldn't have done this ten years ago, and saved ourselves a small fortune. We really are a difficult people to understand at times.

bumpkin 00:11 10 Jan 2015

I still can't help wondering why we couldn't have done this ten years ago, and saved ourselves a small fortune. We really are a difficult people to understand at times.

Ask Flak I am sure he can you a reason but you will probably edit it.

wee eddie 00:35 10 Jan 2015

FE: We value our freedom. Even if sometimes we are unable to jail malefactors

Quickbeam 08:44 10 Jan 2015

Yes, finally...

Pine Man 08:45 10 Jan 2015

'Abu Hamza has finally been dealt with'

..........subject to appeal.

morddwyd 08:58 10 Jan 2015

" still can't help wondering why we couldn't have done this ten years ago,"

Like so many more of our problems, it's down to government targets.

Because of their Government set targets on convictions the CPS will not prosecute if they think there is any chance of the defendant getting off.

I am not a great believer in "the good old days" but I cannot help believing that under the old system of the police deciding on prosecution this man (and several others) would have been in court long since.

Forum Editor 10:34 10 Jan 2015

Pine Man

Subject to appeal

I have no doubt that Abu Hamza will appeal the life sentence, but it doesn't seem likely that it would succeed. The comments made by the judge - that releasing him at any point would simply mean he would return to inciting terrorism - should see to it that he remains behind bars for the rest of his life.

Pine Man 10:49 10 Jan 2015

'should see to it that he remains behind bars for the rest of his life.'

Couldn't agree more.

spuds 12:16 10 Jan 2015

"We really are a difficult people to understand at times."

I have often used that sentence or similar, but to very little avail.

Spreading hatred outside a mosque, with police looking on, and especially condemning a country that supports you very well financially and otherwise, would not have been tolerated for very long in any other country. But what do they say, the UK is the soft under belly of Europe.

In my view, no matter what you do to this person, there will always be recruits sitting on the sideline to fill the void. And those recruits might even be more harder to deal with, because they know the system inside out.

Perhaps our government should have left it to Jordan in regards to this particular persons fate, and not his Human Rights as the priority.

spuds 12:22 10 Jan 2015

'should see to it that he remains behind bars for the rest of his life.'

What the sense behind that.

Its going to cost a fortune, in upkeep and future legal action, unless he dies early.

Would his Arabic brethren considered that, I think they would, and dealt with him in a very different manner.

Forum Editor 12:56 10 Jan 2015

spuds

"I think they would, and dealt with him in a very different manner."

Fortunately barbarism doesn't flourish everywhere.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?