Absolute Beginners

pj123 18:12 03 Apr 2006

Have you noticed there are not many new threads in the Absolute Beginners Forum? We must be winning and they are all graduating to the normal Helproom Forum.

Forum Editor 18:20 03 Apr 2006

we've scared them off in some way.

premier man 18:32 03 Apr 2006

or perhaps we do not like to admit we are dumb and stupid

sunny staines 18:32 03 Apr 2006

I would replace that forum with a list of beginers "how to" links list based on common questions the links could go either to articles on other sites or to previous threads that show the solution.

Sapins 18:45 03 Apr 2006

The very fact that you posted on this forum shows you are not dumb and stupid

ade.h 18:47 03 Apr 2006

It's a valid forum, but it is perhaps in need of more promotion. I see a lot of posts in the Helproom that would be better placed in AB or in Networking. I'm not sure why this is - whether the subsidiary forums are going unnoticed or whether some people actually don't want to use them. I think Absolute Beginners might benefit from dropping the "Absolute" and promoting it a bit more.

anskyber 19:46 03 Apr 2006

Oh dear. Dare I, with some considerable temerity, risk upsetting the FE again. I think (as an AB myself) its about visibility as much as any other explanation.
The "click" on Forums link takes us to the main page for all the Forums except the ABs. As a result the AB service is not so obvious to people, particularly to those who may be ABs.
Having put my head above the barricades one more time I shall slink back again and say that FE said that it would be looked at (with all the other suggestions for the development of the site) in the future.
The PCA site is quite unlike others I have seen in that it is extremely respectful to all comers even though at times we sometimes think it is not. To ABs though even the most welcoming of environments can be intimidating, hence my polite request fop ABs to feature with the rest on the main page.

ade.h 20:12 03 Apr 2006

This thread click here had an insulting and patronising reply in which the poster was directly accused of being stupid. It has now quite correctly been given the silver mouse treatment and the next reply made the same suggestion (which is the correct answer I think) but did so without resorting to insults.

Any newcomers who read that would be forgiven for being put off the idea of posting at all.

anskyber 20:21 03 Apr 2006

Have we got the right link here? the reply could be construed that way but I think not. There is only one reply not more than one as you have said.

VoG II 20:30 03 Apr 2006

There were 2 replies - one rude one and one from ade.h pointing this out. The FE removed both last night (it would not have made sense to leave ade.h's 'telling off' on its own).

ade.h 20:52 03 Apr 2006

Thanks VoG.

Anskyber - Like I said, the silver mouse did its job.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?