AAIB update to Heathrow incident

TopCat® 20:20 18 Feb 2008

Investigation still continues but small 'foreign objects' found in fuel tanks. Other findings are included in this report. TC. click here

TopCat® 13:10 20 Feb 2008

Closing.

oresome 16:08 20 Feb 2008

Thanks for the link TopCat®.

It looks like it's going to be a long haul finding the cause of this accident.

octal 17:12 20 Feb 2008

"long haul"

Was that an intentional pun? :D

Diemmess 17:44 20 Feb 2008

........I think you will find more detail
click here

laurie53 20:51 20 Feb 2008

If a pump is cavitating that normally means not enough fluid is going through it and is is churning up vapour.

If there's not enough fluid getting to the pump then there obviously would not be enough getting to the engine, yet they have ruled out fuel starvation.

Curiouser and curiouser!

Our ex-matelots should know about cavitation, as it's the sin of all sins among submariners, being one of the easiest things to detect using passive sonar.

Jak_1 21:00 20 Feb 2008

"Our ex-matelots should know about cavitation, as it's the sin of all sins among submariners, being one of the easiest things to detect using passive sonar."

It certainly is, before transfering to the medial branch I was a sonarman (AB UC2), I could tell the number of revolutions per minute of any vessels screw by the cavitation. From that we could work out an approximate speed of the vessel and bearing.

TopCat® 22:57 20 Feb 2008

It was reported that the fuel pumps did have internal markings caused by cavitation, but it also said these pumps have been fully tested by the manufacturer. The result, they said, was the the pumps were still capable of have giving full pressure. Obviously, adequate fuel supply to them would have to be there to attain and maintain full pressure, so as I understand it, the investigators are are searching the complete fuel supply system to find out why they became 'starved' of fuel during that flight. TC.

TopCat® 22:59 20 Feb 2008

Oops, sorry for the errors - should have checked my typing! Tc.

TopCat® 18:42 13 May 2008

Latest bulletin on Heathrow air crash. TC.

click here

Forum Editor 19:05 13 May 2008

to note that the pumps themselves appear to have cavitation damage not because of any design fault, but because they both appear to have had low fuel supply pressure on the inlet side. The AAIB seem to be saying that they think there was a blockage or blockages between the aircraft's fuel tanks and the High Pressure pumps to both engines. One wonders quite what the blockages would be caused by.

It's worrying, because if this can happen in one set of pumps in one aircraft it can presumably happen in others.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?