AA Patrol- goes by scooter?

jack 09:44 18 Apr 2010

How many among us remember the AA patrol man on his Motor Cycle Combination, in has smart brown uniforms and snapping off a salute at each membership badged vehicle he encountered?

This morning as I shuffled down from the paper shop clutching my Sunday Times - a Bright Yellow scooter whizzed by- emblazoned with the AA logo and the yellow clad rider with AA on his back.
What sort of assistance can he carry out I wondered - no trolley jack strapped to the back here- hardly able to give one a tow to the nearest garage then.
Hmmm!
In looking this one up I came across-
click here

dagbladet 09:55 18 Apr 2010

I would imagine that in congested areas they could get to a breakdown much more quickly and carry out a 'triage' type service. Good idea.

johndrew 09:55 18 Apr 2010

".. no trolley jack strapped to the back here- hardly able to give one a tow to the nearest garage then."

I think it is called `progress` ;-)

dagbladet 09:56 18 Apr 2010

I think it makes sense.

dagbladet 09:58 18 Apr 2010

Here we go. Been doing it for two years apparently.

click here

WhiteTruckMan 10:12 18 Apr 2010

that I see regularily operating on the A1 in the newcastle area that operate recovery of cars with motorcycles. They are pretty large, powerfull bikes too. Possibly gold wings or st100's, but they carry the towing device (a small spectacle lift type dolley) fastned to the rear.

But on a scooter related note, I have noticed a seeming large number of (council?) traffic warden types going round on scooters with L plates on them. Cant help but wonder if they are the wardens own machines, and what the insurance is like on them if they are using them for work. Thats if they are even declaring them for work related activities!

WTM

dagbladet 11:03 18 Apr 2010

Scooter/Bike.

It's all in the link. They use both.

jack 11:14 18 Apr 2010

Where I live- there at 2 AA vans parked in drives- presumably the residents are Patrol men.
But then this is but 200 meters from J1B M25- very convenient. ;-}

Colin 11:16 18 Apr 2010

WTM - it may be this click here

Our County Council, Staffordshire, also operates this scheme

jack 12:32 18 Apr 2010

This one was a normal petrol one thats for sure,
However I know not whee the guy went he could easily be making his way to 'London' it border is but 1km up the road.

morddwyd 19:43 18 Apr 2010

"and snapping off a salute at each membership badged vehicle he encountered?"

And how many of us remember that, believe it or not, some people would fire off a letter of complaint if they didn't get one!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache