AA Go Back To Motorbikes

peter99co 10:59 03 Apr 2008

Scooters to beat jams

click here

Quickbeam 11:02 03 Apr 2008
  peter99co 11:16 03 Apr 2008

You wonder how heavy the panniers were with all the tools they needed. Not very nice for the guys when the weather was bad. Can you find an AA Box to complete the picture? Does anybody still have their key?

Quickbeam 11:59 03 Apr 2008

The AA was formed early in 1900 to defend motorists who were being persecuted by the police acting on the instructions of mostly horsey local authorities. With an overall speed limit of 20mph in force, police set up traps by hiding in hedges and timing motorists over a measured distance with a stop watch.

What's new? click here & click here

Bingalau 12:19 03 Apr 2008

peter99co. Need you ask? Of course lots of us still have the key. Don't we? I think there's a couple in my garage, both AA and RAC.

Quickbeam 12:27 03 Apr 2008

You could open either with AA or RAC keys, an early example of sharing resources.

Jim Thing 12:37 03 Apr 2008

"Does anybody still have their key?"

No, but I have my father's AA bumper badge somewhere in a box. AA men used to look for the badge and salute the driver as he or she drove past. If there was a police car lurking around the next bend, AA men weren't allowed to warn drivers in any active way — so they simply failed to salute. Members then noted that the AA man hadn't saluted them and took the hint.

pj123 13:08 03 Apr 2008

As Jim Thing says.

I remember all of that. I don't have an AA key but I do have an RAC key which fits both boxes (if there are still any left).

I have never used my key because mobile phones have become the way to go.

As for the "no salute" means problems, I tend to use the French method of warning.

Flash your headlights 3 times in quick succession, which means there is some sort of problem ahead for them. You will get a "thank you" response from them and you can watch their brake lights come on in your rear view mirror.

I have tried it in Norwich when there is a mobile speed camera around. Seems to work.

Jim Thing 13:32 03 Apr 2008

Aye, I give the same warning with my lights. But be careful, pj123. If you were to be seen doing that by a particularly snotty copper I *think* you could be prosecuted for 'obstructing the police in the execution of their duties.'

According to my father that's why the old-time AA men simply failed to salute — they couldn't be prosecuted for just standing at the roadside watching the cars go by.

techie4me 14:17 03 Apr 2008

Saw to AA bikes the other day and wondered what they were doing.
It will be a quicker way to get to motorists that are broken down in heavily congested towns. And a must for London!

Totally-braindead 15:00 03 Apr 2008

I didn't know they had stopped the motorbikes. I assumed I never saw one as they were only use in certain areas.

Are you sure they stopped using bikes?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?