999 via SMS

ajm 00:10 16 Sep 2009

Have just come across this click here. Need to register your phone first.

I, for one, am happy that this service now is available as I have a hearing disability and have to rely on wife, partner, family to call 999.

WhiteTruckMan 00:16 16 Sep 2009

a good idea to me. At first glance I can't see any obvious drawbacks to the scheme. I admit I haven't studied it in detail, but I am assuming it is all free.

WTM

morddwyd 08:28 16 Sep 2009

I am suspicious of any organisation which wants my personal details, i.e. register your phone, when there is no postal address and no phone numbers.

Quickbeam 09:27 16 Sep 2009

"...does not guarantee delivery of SMS messages'."
That's a major problem with SMS messaging. Most texts are sent and received quite quickly, but now and again, I've known a text to take upto an hour to travel.

Quickbeam 10:03 16 Sep 2009

The second link to Ofcom from fourm member is much more informative, which makes the emergency SMS link homepage a bit of a failure in the first place bearing in mind "...because most of us rarely have reason to call 999, the trial needs thousands of people to register so that there will be a sufficient number of 999 messages to test the system."

The Ofcom link sells the idea much better and slao suggests why registration is required... "People who send hoax messages can be barred from the system and may be prosecuted."

The only problem I can see is how do you text for an ambulance, if your emergency is that you've broken both thumbs...?

Quickbeam 08:49 17 Sep 2009

Is anyone going to register for this?

morddwyd 20:53 17 Sep 2009

First thing I'll do once I learn how to text!

ajm 23:51 17 Sep 2009

As I'm with t-mobile I am unable to register until the 29th September

BT 08:31 18 Sep 2009

Perhaps these idiots in Australia could have made use of this service!

"Two girls aged ten and 12 who were trapped in a storm drain called for help using their status update on Facebook rather than telephoning the emergency services.

Despite having a phone the girls decided not to go for the traditional method of dialling the Australian equivalent of 999*.

They logged on to Facebook instead: telephoning for help is so 2008.

You have to wonder whether or not Darwin was thwarted when this pair of halfwits were dragged up from the drain having been lucky enough for a friend to spot they were in trouble.

After sending them a virtual towel and a virtual ladder as gifts (probably), the friend did what the girls should have done several hours earlier and called the emergency services.

The girls were eventually rescued by firefighters, possibly while Twittering constant updates or uploading a few pictures to Flickr.

Firefighter Glenn Benham said: “These girls were able to access Facebook on their mobile phones, so they could have called the emergency services.

“We could have come to their rescue much faster than relying on someone else being online, then replying to them, then calling us.”

ol blueeyes 22:27 18 Sep 2009

To me in an Emergency use the tried and trusted system that is already in being the proper 999 system as I experienced from personal experience in the last Month. Ambulance arrived within 5 minutes of making the call.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?