£800m Sent too Africa to help them.?

Uboat 13:45 18 Jun 2010

I'm sorry BUT if this figure is correct i am NOT been in any form Racsist BUT that is simply TOO much! i dont mind supporting other countries but come on £800 Million.?

click here

michaelw 14:12 18 Jun 2010

The important thing is to make sure whatever money is donated goes to the people who deserve it.

Most African countries are teeming with corruption. Our former diplomat, Sir Edward Clay, in Kenya resigned in disgust at the way chairty money destined for the poor ended up in their government misters' bank accounts.

Even Bob Geldof threw a hissy fit when it was discovered that Band Aid's charity money found its way into lining the wrong people's pockets and for buying arms. He categorically denied it although the evidence was quite convincing.

hastelloy 14:25 18 Jun 2010

The old saying is that "foreign aid is a way of taking money from poor people in rich countries and giving it to rich people in poor countries". Unfortunately there is an element of truth in this but that means that the donors should do everything in their power to ensure that michaelw's point is carefully monitored - "The important thing is to make sure whatever money is donated goes to the people who deserve it".

Snec 17:40 18 Jun 2010

michaelw

"Most African countries are teeming with corruption"
Most countries, not just African I would suggest. Look at the UK Parliament's *Honourable* Members.

marvin42
"taking money from poor people in rich countries and giving it to rich people in poor countries"
Sure: And taking money from poor people and giving it to rich people is something that *Honourable* Members do at home all the time in their own country.

Corruption is rife in all countries and the UK is in no position to get all Holier Than Thou about it either.

Al94 17:55 18 Jun 2010

We're considerably better off that 80% of the human race.

karmgord 18:49 18 Jun 2010

I would n't be so bad if they had n't spent it all on PLASTIC TRUMPETS!
:- )

sunnystaines 19:38 18 Jun 2010

waste of money again

sunnystaines 20:13 18 Jun 2010

I hope the new govt kicks aid into touch with it only going to needy causes and not african leaders swiss accounts.

I think will give far too much away just to look good without investigating the need and ensuring it reaches the people in need.

sunnystaines 20:14 18 Jun 2010

if they could not afford to host the world cup they should not have bid for it.

sunnystaines 20:16 18 Jun 2010

cancel last post just remembered it was education. why is RSA spending on a world cup and not on education.

caccy 21:45 18 Jun 2010

Used to take my children's old clothes to Africa and give them to houseboy, cook or guard for their children. Saw too much "aid" clothing being sold to even contemplate giving it to aid agencies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017