7 Million Brits want an iPhone!!!

interzone55 20:13 18 Jun 2007

Have you read this on the news pages click here

Now where did the market research people do the survey, Selfidges?

Why would anyone want a phone that ties you to a 2 year contract, does not support 3G connections and insist that you sign up to iTunes before you cant use it?

A phone for sad fashionistas, and the world suddenly got even more depressing if there are 7 million people in this country who value style over substance

georgemac © 20:33 18 Jun 2007

hmmm - not me! Can't stand itunes although ipods are very good

I now use free software called vpod for transferring music to the ipod

Kate B 20:34 18 Jun 2007

Can't say I'm one of the 7m.

powerless 20:44 18 Jun 2007

*Why would anyone want a phone that ties you to a 2 year contract*

In America; I think no UK announcments have been made in regards to the service. In fact I'm sure that European mobile operators are unhappy with what Apple require from them.

*does not support 3G connections*

Yet.

*and insist that you sign up to iTunes before you cant use it?*

Well how else do you expect Apple to allow movie and audio playback from the iTunes store? Considering it's an apple product why not? You manage the phone through iTunes; iTunes is no longer what it was; it's become so much more.

Si_L 20:47 18 Jun 2007

The phone looks nice, but I wish it could be just that - a phone. There is too much hassle with it, being tied down to a contract, you can't use it till you sign up with your credit details on some Apple thing etc.

I would like to just see it in a shop on PAYG, no strings attached.

Stuartli 01:08 19 Jun 2007

This is the type of media reporting that White Truck Man describes as spin (allegedly) in another thread...:-)

Jim Thing 08:31 19 Jun 2007

"A phone for sad fashionistas, and the world suddenly got even more depressing if there are 7 million people in this country who value style over substance."

I don't think there's any 'if' about it. More than 1 in 5 of those voting in the current PCA poll have chosen 'appearance' as the feature they look for most in a mobile phone — also do you remember those silly commercials where the pitch was "Are you ashamed of your mobile?" Then there are those who are happy to pay a premium price for a laptop because it's painted red and has a Ferrari badge on it... and so it goes.

I suppose the makers and floggers of stuff such as mobile phones are forced down to such levels by the need to keep their ship afloat once they find themselves operating in a saturated market.

Totally-braindead 09:29 19 Jun 2007

Perhaps its another example of the "keep up with the Jones" mentality.
I've no interest in it at all.

As regarding the 7 million that said they wanted it, it depends how it was asked and who they asked. If you word a question slightly differently you would slant the results you got.
I suspect that 7 million Brits would not be willing to fork out whatever it costs, locking themselves into a contract etc etc. I'm sure they were asked somewhat differently to boost the numbers.
No one I know would want one.

Jim Thing 10:35 19 Jun 2007

"More than 1 in 5 of those voting in the current PCA poll..."

Well it WAS the current poll until a few minutes ago! :-)

rodriguez 11:32 19 Jun 2007

I've never been an Apple fan, I have an iRiver instead of an iPod, I never use iTunes and have used a Mac about once and couldn't get used to it.

rodriguez 11:39 19 Jun 2007

Also I'm happy enough with my Nokia 6230 - the screen's a bit small so the video looks a bit poor but I don't really care much about that it's a phone that works. I'll keep it till it breaks like I did with my previous ones. ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone