£5 coins

Awshum 23:33 01 Feb 2010

Anyone ever buy these any more?

Was teaching the children (they asked first, ages 7 and 5) about coins recently and they'd never seen a £5 coin before so I thought I'd get them one each.

To my surprise none of the 7 Post Offices including the large Belfast one stocks any collectible coins any more... I used to collect but sold my collection when I was in need of cash and never took it up again.

A man in the Belfast PO said they'd stopped getting them into Post Offices years ago. So I ordered a couple of base metal ones from the RM website but slightly disappointed as these ones are sealed in presentation wallets so they cost more and the kids can't handle them. Was hoping for the £5 for £5 thing that used to be offered.

Awshum 23:34 01 Feb 2010

7 Post Offices* in my area.

Quickbeam 07:27 02 Feb 2010

It's high time that they were brought into general circulation and ousted the tatty remnants of scrap paper that pass for fivers.

sunnystaines 08:59 02 Feb 2010

there was a recent post on them i had never heard of them till then so asked at bank and was told they are just for collectors of coins but are legal tender.

birdface 09:30 02 Feb 2010

Just for collectors and off course they are worth more now than when they were minted.

click here#

Certainly don't like the one of the Queen Mother it looks more like something from a Roman coin.

sunnystaines 10:53 02 Feb 2010

looks like the mint is making a lot of money from collectors by making new ones each year, similar to P.O.and new stamps

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:02 02 Feb 2010

Premium bonds are a better buy IMHO.

G

Awshum 11:21 02 Feb 2010

It's not quite coins though. I was teaching the kids about coins. From the minting process, the metals used, the art and probably more importantly a bit about the history depicted on them.

I'm not an expert on anything and will say thankyou to the Library, the Discovery TV Channels and the Internet.

Awshum 11:24 02 Feb 2010

And the fact that these little pieces of metal change hands thousands, maybe millions, of times a year, who knows who had that coin in their pocket before you.

They were fascinated by most of my waffle. lol.

ronalddonald 23:56 02 Feb 2010

time you come across take a phot of it to show the children. I use to have old 50p, 10p, 5p and the one pound note and the half penny, sadly had to let go of them also had a farthing somewhere.

Graham. 00:03 03 Feb 2010

I had a Dimple bottle of 1/2p's and 6 pences, come on, who's got it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017