4x4's ....would you buy one?

jail-bird 10:16 22 Aug 2006

These cars are said to be a threat to the environment, to pedestrians and other road users.

Given the non-pc image, environmental backlash, and the recent suggestion of an £1800 a year tax disc....would you buy a 4x4 as your next car?

johndere 10:41 22 Aug 2006

OK i live for most of the year deep in the countryside of the Quantock Hills, the lanes are narrow, often rutted in winter and more often we get snow, would you want to be driving in a Rav4, LandRover or would you prefer a nice little ford focus?

It just goes to show that some at westminster have no idea why some people need 4x4's. Tax those who use them in large towns in London, but not those who need them.

What about a tax on large cars, like jags, oh of course that will not happen will while ministes use them!

De Marcus™ 11:00 22 Aug 2006

Yes, got one, Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I live in a town and we're lucky enough to be a two car family, our other car being a Nissan Micra which we both use in and around town. We do a lot of camping each year, sometimes at campsites, sometimes just out in the sticks on our own, perhaps paying a farmer for a couple of nights on his land. I wouldn't dare risk taking a non 4x4 again. We did once, and it poured down, the ground got boggy and we were stuck for 6 hours till the farmer came along in his land rover and pulled us out, with apparent ease.

freaky 11:02 22 Aug 2006

I agree with johndere - in his situation a 4x4 is justified. But a high percentage of 4x4's are used in towns/cities for commuting, shopping and taking the kid's to and from school.

They take up a lot of parking space, and I notice the drivers use them in an aggressive manner - in fact they tend to use them as tanks!

These vehicles are regarded as 'macho' and in the majority of cases are purchased for this reason only.

Personally, I never park next to one, and give them a wide berth on the road.

Cymro. 11:20 22 Aug 2006

I don`t see how anyone can justify a 4x4 if they live in a town and have no real need of one. Some of them are used for the school run and getting the shopping etc. I bet some of the people who use them don`t even know how or when to use 4 wheel drive if they ever did happen to be in need of it. Farmers and certain country people yes possibly, but the number of people who have a real need of 4 wheal drive is very small.Most of the once on our roads are just status symbols for the people who drive them.

silverous 11:21 22 Aug 2006

I was thinking about buying one.... except I don't much fancy the threat of the 2k tax being talked about on them... so in that sense maybe it has worked !

In reality people complain about the environment but a 3.0d BMW X5 is not much more polluting than the relatively commonplace 3 series 3 litre petrol. Does the tax apply equally to such cars?

4x4s are bigger height wise than normal cars but are they that much bigger in width and length? If not then they aren't taking up more road than a normal car.

A 4x4 has a great driving position, which is one of the reasons I'd consider one, and I happen to like the look of them. I don't have a family at the moment and so for two people living in a city it seems a bit excessive and I'm not sure I like the associated image but I would possibly consider one if we have a family in the future.

Cymro. 11:40 22 Aug 2006

silverous. If you want a great driving position then get yourself a Ford Transit or some such thing, plenty of room in the back for the kids.

DrScott 11:53 22 Aug 2006

I initially thought you mean the new AMD 4X4 CPUs which are somewhere in the offing (well, it is a computer forum after all!)

Yes to AMD, no to 4X4 - not for any real environmental reason, I just don't like them that much, plus they are too top heavy for slinging round corners. For future kids, I'm afraid I'm of the volvo brigade and so will be plumping for one of those when the time is right!

Hertz Van Rentyl 12:04 22 Aug 2006

Volvo make a very nice 4x4, in fact the new V8 with 4 catalytic converters causes less pollution than some lesser taxed vehicles, but that won't cut any ice with the likes of Red Ken.

cycoze 12:13 22 Aug 2006

There was a program on the BBC a month or two back about this, a Family were looking at a new 4x4 (approx £50K) and their main reasons were it was the thing to be seen in, in their locality, so for them it was a Status symbol, they kept saying "it shows you have arrived" and "safer for the family".

The show went onto prove to them that they were not as safe as everyone thought, they were shown a Mercedes Family Estate that was deemed far safer/cheaper initially/cheaper to run, they still went for the 4x4.

The Lady of the house could not reverse the 4x4 into parking spaces on the local towns street, she used to be able to do it in their old car which didnt have the sensors and annoying beeping setup.

In this day and age i believe people will have what they want and can afford (some probably cant afford but will have it anyhoo) regardless of what impact there is on the enviroment etc, we are more of an "i`m alright Jack society these days".

I live out in the sticks with narrow lanes and a few rough roads, i drive a small diesel hatchback, it`s affordable and cheap to run/maintain, thats my choice, when the snow comes the lanes can easily get blocked and a proper 4x4 can come into it`s own, proper 4x4? i mean Land Rovers and farm trucks, and there what i see driving around here in the snow, the Rav4`s etc are stood in the driveways or in the garage, with the odd one or two as an exception.

I have met several 4x4 drivers who have stopped 100m from a passing place but wont reverse to it, expecting me to reverse half a mile instead , whats that all about? if you cant reverse your vehicle then maybe you should not be driving it.

A lot i have met with non working vehicles wont pull up on the verges, i was told by one woman that her 4x4 cost xxx amount and had just been polished and therefore she was not going through the muddy puddle on the side of the road, i had knowhere to go as there was a ditch my side!

Working vehicles ie: farm trucks etc around me are generally covered in mud and the drivers will pull over onto verges for other vehicles, so im not trying to give them all a bad name.

I have to agree size wise an average 4x4 takes up less space length ways than say a Volvo or Mercedes estate, and regarding environmentel impact it`s not just about fuel usage, look at the size of the tyres on some of these things, twice as big as most average cars.

In the end, there are no true environmentally friendly cars, not even electric cells, they all produce waste of some sort during and after production, some produce a little some produce a lot, it`s down to the individual what they want in the end.

spuds 12:29 22 Aug 2006

Used the trusted Land Rover and Toyota 4x4 and similar robust vehicles on many occasions, in the correct locations and conditions. But would I use one on the kiddies school run or supermarket trip in a town environment, definitely not.

Only recently, family friends have disposed of the 'wifes' 4x4 Discovery, due to rising costs of maintenance (he owns a garage business!)for the vehicle, plus replacement walling and driveway gate posts.They now admit, the 'macho' image was the mainstay for the vehicle, nothing like taking and collecting the two kid's to/from school and the weekly supermarket run to provide the impression?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?