40D Camera and old Canon Fit Sigma Lens

Ex plorer 11:01 08 Aug 2009

Hi I have bought a 40D camera first move from 35mm.
I understand it has increase of 1.6 on the lenses as it is a cropped camera.
My old Canon 28-80 lens seems to work OK on the 40D.
My other lens are (Canon Fit) Sigma 105 Macro and the 170-500 which were bought for my 50e 35mm camera many years ago.
I emailed Sigma and they said they should fit and work OK.
Sigma said if they didn't work they would modify them for £5 per lens if I could show a receipt of buying and if not £33 pounds per lens.
Has any one put old lenses onto a new digital camera I don't want to damage the 40D.
Reason I asked Jessops about the sigma lens and it started a argument as to what it may do to the camera.

hssutton 11:56 08 Aug 2009

There's no problem whatsoever.

What I find strange is in this present economic climate that Sigma are still charging only £33 per per lens to rechip their older lenses. That's the same amount as I paid in 2002.

So in answer to the last part of your question, I have put old lenses on my Canon cameras and I know of several others who have done the same.

All EOS lenses should work without problem regardless of their age

Ex plorer 13:50 08 Aug 2009

Thanks for that tried them and they work fine.
Is there a chart on the net to give comparisons to a cropped frame camera 40D been 1.6 cant get that in my old grey cells of the equivalent.
I have looked but cant find any thing.

hssutton 14:10 08 Aug 2009

Here's exactly what you want to understand crop factor click here.

Ex plorer 15:11 08 Aug 2009

Thanks hssutton for your time and help its been appreciated.

Forum Editor 00:38 09 Aug 2009

I discovered that my Sigma lens didn't work - it produced an error message. I had previously used it on a Canon film camera, and Sigma told me that the was due to the fact that canon had altered the electronics on the camera.

A very nice man at Sigma offered me a new lens that was a better specification than the old one if I returned the old lens and paid around £80 extra. I did so, and the new lens worked perfectly. It's worth checking with Sigma.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?