3D or not 3D that is the question?

Legolas 13:19 16 Mar 2010

I am a bit bewildered (nothing new there then I hear you cry)concerning the hype around 3D technology. I went to see Avatar at my local IMAX cimema and it was OK the 3D effects were interesting, but I really can't see what all the fuss is about, is anyone else of the same opinion?

Is 3D just a flash in the pan, is it with us to stay or is it just a marketing ploy?

carver 10:04 18 Mar 2010

There's an article here click here scroll down to 4th paragraph and mentions 3D TV'S that do not need glasses, one small problem, $20.000.00

mr simon 10:30 18 Mar 2010

I saw Alice in Wonderland 3D yesterday. I enjoyed the film, but keep couldn't stop asking myself if I would have enjoyed the 2D version. Alice in Wonderland is not my sort of film, and Avatar has a terrible storyline and script, but I enjoyed both.

I am worried that after everyone starts to accept 3D as norm and no longer be wowed by the special effects, will be still be sold short with films that look pretty on the outside but have no substance, instead preferring to make up for a lack of story in the visual effects area?

michaelw 10:53 18 Mar 2010

I think the 3d films are great. I enjoyed avatar and Alice.

The plot for Avatar is a simple one, rather like umpteen others following the same premise. Man's greed wants to take over land which is teeming with precious resources. The natives want to keep living there in their sacred land. It's cowboys and Indians, or Middle east all over again.

I agree without the 3d it would have been less impressive. Most of the seven plots have been done to death, so new ideas are needed. Ticket sales will dictate the path in which future films will go.

Chegs ®™ 11:04 18 Mar 2010

I had a chat with the TV sales chap about whether to hold off on purchase of a new TV for a little longer as 3d TV's were due out.He explained that I would be foolish to become an early adopter as the prices are insane and the results aren't that good,and the content available is also limited plus I'd have to upgrade to a Blu-Ray player and Blu-Ray discs are also less common.If I ever win the Euro-Lottery rollover then I might consider doing all the upgrading.

Kevscar1 14:05 18 Mar 2010

carver
With true 5D you will be able to smell "what a load of xxxx" it is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017