3D or not 3D that is the question?

Legolas 13:19 16 Mar 2010

I am a bit bewildered (nothing new there then I hear you cry)concerning the hype around 3D technology. I went to see Avatar at my local IMAX cimema and it was OK the 3D effects were interesting, but I really can't see what all the fuss is about, is anyone else of the same opinion?

Is 3D just a flash in the pan, is it with us to stay or is it just a marketing ploy?

Kevscar1 13:26 16 Mar 2010

They are going on sale soon but sky say first 3d channel is 18 months away so to answer your questions
No Yes and Yes.

lotvic 14:18 16 Mar 2010

Somewhere in the attic I still have my green/red 3D paper glasses so I don't need to have this so called 'new' technology.... do I?

wiz-king 15:01 16 Mar 2010

I will wait for them to decide on a standard. I feel a VHS/Betamax/Philips standard war coming on.

Quickbeam 15:15 16 Mar 2010

"I feel a VHS/Betamax/Philips standard war coming on."
What, like round or square glasses;)

carver 16:13 16 Mar 2010

Interesting that you will have to pay £3000.00 for a TV, then another £99 for glasses, then have to pay yet again for a Blue ray player that will play the discs.

So for not short of about £3500.00 I will have the pleasure of watching about a dozen films in 3D, then in about 12 months I will find out that all the stuff I have bought is now obsolete because some one has brought out some thing better.

Also the most important thing, try watching something in 3D while lying down on the sofa, doesn't work.

Quickbeam 16:16 16 Mar 2010

"try watching something in 3D while lying down on the sofa, doesn't work."

WOW! No good to me then, I watch nearly everything sideways on the sofa!

canarieslover 16:41 16 Mar 2010

Do I still have to wear my normal glasses under the 3D glasses or are they a magic prescription that will enable anyone to see the screen with just the 3D glasses?

Quickbeam 16:51 16 Mar 2010

Maybe Specsavers will offer a free pair of prescription 3D glasses...

wiz-king 16:59 16 Mar 2010

It depends whether you want the red/green ones or the polarised type or even the LCD magic shutters.

[email protected] 22:33 16 Mar 2010

The only 3D technology that is affected by the rotation of the head is that which uses linearly polarized lenses.

I believe the technology that they are pushing with 3D TVs is LCD shutter lenses, which won't be affected by the orientation of your head.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017