37th Ryder Cup

Marko797 17:14 14 Sep 2008

click here

For those with an interest, the above takes place 16-21 Sept in the US of A. I guess highlights might appear on BBC accompanied with the dulcet tones of Peter Alliss.

Europe have a chance to make it 4 in a row.

For Europe however, this time there's no Monty, and no Darren Clarke. Faldo is in the captain's chair however.

For the USA there is no Tiger this year, as he's recovering from injury.

So what do you think, another European victory, or will the Yanks finally get their act together?

birdface 18:16 14 Sep 2008

Although Faldo was a good player I don't think that he holds the respect of team players that a Ryder cup captain should hold.As it is being played in the USA I would imagine that the Americans will be or should be favorites.If I was a betting person I would back Europe to win but would not be very confident on the outcome.Never mind fingers will be crossed and hope for the best.Not sure if it is on BBC or ITV if on SKY anybody know if we can download any program to watch it.

Marko797 18:20 14 Sep 2008

I'm unsure on UK coverage, and who has the 'rights' so to speak, but I'll try n find out. I don't think pgatour.com have permission to broadcast, as they aren't shouting out loud about it at all, but again, will check.

Marko797 18:26 14 Sep 2008

a quick check suggests Sky Sports, but BBC have coverage on radio and TV as follows:

BBC Radio 5 Live live from the Valhalla course

Friday 19 September: 12.30pm-midinght

Saturday 20 September: noon-midnight

Sunday 21 September: noon-11.00pm

Ryder Cup highlights on BBC Television

Friday 19 September: BBC One, 11.40pm-1.10am

Saturday 20 September: BBC One, 11.00am-noon; BBC Two, 11.40pm-1.10am

Sunday 21 September: BBC Two, noon-1.30pm & 11.10pm-1.10am

Monday 22 September: BBC Two, 7.00-7.30pm.

shellship 18:46 14 Sep 2008

It is indeed Sky. I only and eventually and reluctantly decided to swell Murdoch's coffers when Sky originally got the Ryder Cup which was quite a few years ago.

Forum Editor 23:06 14 Sep 2008

seem to be more concerned with what the wives and girlfriends will be wearing. Apparently it isn't just a golf competition.

birdface 09:37 15 Sep 2008

Thank you for your effort on tracking down the radio timetable for us.I find it rather pathetic that we pay £150 a year for a TV license and can't watch a major sporting event like this.

Marko797 10:40 15 Sep 2008

No probs.

I agree, it's pretty shabby that we only get an hour or so here and there on BBC (what with the licence fee), and that for major sporting events that we need to subscribe to Sky in order to watch anything considered decent coverage.

Sadly, it's the way things are with all major sporting events, and I guess many other fans suffer the same with their own favourite sport, but I shall continue to *not* get sucked in to the Sky 'machine'.

Marko797 10:57 15 Sep 2008

It looks like pga.com will be providing coverage over t'internet...yahoo!

click here

birdface 13:38 15 Sep 2008

Many thanks for the update.

Bingalau 13:52 15 Sep 2008

A good case for the BBC to accept and use advertising revenue, instead of taking money out of our pockets. They would have more than enough to compete with Sky then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?