£33m child benefit paid to foreign children

  Nibblerman 14:42 01 Jun 2008

OK this is NOT a "Dig at any culture or colour or aimed at any foreign's its aimed at our system & the shambles it is..

click here

& for those of you that WILL not belive The Daily Mail's story ...

click here

  peter99co 14:58 01 Jun 2008

Is it possible that Gordon did not know this was the case when he agreed to fund it? This same Gordon who tells us we do not need a referendum because nothing has changed.

  Koochy 15:03 01 Jun 2008

I find that with Gordon the way to tell he is telling lies is watch his lips they start moving.

  Strawballs 15:20 01 Jun 2008

I believe you we have Ploish working at our place and because they pay British NI they are entitled to child benefit for their children back in Poland, as said before I don't blame them I blame the system.

  Earthsea 15:34 01 Jun 2008

It's quite right that the government should renegotiate with the EU about this, but the principle of paying benefit to children of EU nationals in this country is sound. What needs to be taken into account is the cost of living of the country the children are in.

  jakimo 16:13 01 Jun 2008

And yet the police,who are employed to protect us were denied a similar amount that had been awarded yto them on the grounds that it was inflationary.

The child benefit being paid to children in Poland is worth far more than that paid to British children..and before anyone says that is the EU rules,who voted for the current EU gravy train setup ?

  ol blueeyes 16:17 01 Jun 2008

I won't say a word because it will incriminate me

  sunny staines 17:32 01 Jun 2008

time to scrap that allowance for non residents.

  Totally-braindead 17:46 01 Jun 2008

Its complete madness and is not sustainable. As far as I am concerned the answer is to come clean, admit it was badly thought out and scrap it or at least change it so that people only get it for the children who are here.
Regardless of the rules I really have a hard time understanding how you can claim for children that are not in the country in which you live.

  CurlyWhirly 17:51 01 Jun 2008

"Regardless of the rules I really have a hard time understanding how you can claim for children that are not in the country in which you live."

Me too - it's utter madness.

  K_elt 19:14 01 Jun 2008

I don't have the info to hand at the moment, but if memory serves, you can only claim child benefit for children that live with you. If you qualify for CB, then you can claim Child Tax Credit too.

The reason it is being paid for children in Poland, as I understand it, is that if you claim the children normally live with you, but are apart for reasons of a temporary nature, such as for educational purposes, it is allowed as there is no time limit set on the temporary period.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?