£30m sits unused on London Oyster travel cards

peter99co 12:37 28 May 2010

Almost £30m has been left unused on Oyster pay-as-you-go (PAYG) for at least a year.

Have you got one you should cash in?

Pay-as-you-go Oyster cards do not expire.

Clapton is God 14:06 28 May 2010

"Pay-as-you-go Oyster cards do not expire"

So, I think you've answered your own question.

People may be hanging on to these 'unused' balances in case of need in the future.

karmgord 20:28 28 May 2010

That's the idea,don't forget also each "unused" oyster card also cost £5 as well as any unused balance.
Plenty of tourists both domestic and from abroad buy the cards to save money on their fares while in London then leave the capital leaving the cards(worth £5) & unused balance in TFLs coffers.

octal 20:36 28 May 2010

That could be quite true. I have got an Oyster card with auto top-up and the last time I topped it up was at the end of 2009 with £20, normally I use my Freedom pass but because the Central line was messed up the other day I had to use National Rail from Paddington to Hanwell because the Freedom pass won't be accepted before 09:30 and I've still got £7.59 left on the Oyster.

jack 10:03 29 May 2010

That would be the main holder of these residual items- plus I guess a fair number of deceased holders.
What happens in this case I am not sure- can the executor claim back any unused funds?
Would they bother?

ella33 14:18 29 May 2010

Could some of this money be put to good use improving LT? Each weekend, especially Bank Holidays, it is sooooo time consuming, trying to get round London on route that have no works. I have found a route that "they" don't seem to have noticed so it is still there! Seriously there is a lot that could be done with £30m, that would improve life for the consumer.

peter99co 17:27 29 May 2010

Wonder what the interest is on the money in the pot?

Clapton is God 18:21 29 May 2010

"Could some of this money be put to good use improving LT?"

Err, I think you've missed the point. The £30m has already been handed over to TfL when travellers topped up their Oyster cards.

Presumably, therefore, TfL are already putting said money to "good use".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?