300,000th thread

simonjary 12:26 01 Dec 2008

I know you've all been waiting to know which post started the 300,000th thread on PCA Forums.

Well, here it is. Another quietly resolved query in the Helproom.
click here

(As mentioned earlier, there wil have been over 300K threads - some from many years back, under a different measuring system, some deleted and not counted - but we'll stick to the stats at the bottom of the forums.)

Next up, 2m posts...

Covergirl 12:37 01 Dec 2008

Well, I would have thought a nice prize like a years subscription might have been in order . . :-)

279,727 users ? Is that registered users ? Phew !

[email protected] 15:44 01 Dec 2008

you still got the very first post?

Forum Editor 18:31 01 Dec 2008

Yes, it's tucked away in the very depths of the cobwebby corner of the vault, underneath a pile of my worn-out old deleting and banning mice from the old days. There's no way I'm going to go grubbing about down there, so you'll have to do without it, I'm afraid.

It was probably a welcome message from someone who isn't with the magazine any more.

simonjary 09:40 02 Dec 2008

The forums go back to 9th May 2001, but the first one we can show is from 1st Jan 03 - not sure why this is but they don't seem to have any messages
including the original message associated with the threads and so the site won't show them - possibly a redesign of the code.

Anyway, this is by no means the first forum thread, but it's the earliest we can show.

click here

interzone55 20:57 02 Dec 2008

That post begs the question of why rsturbo was worried about networking XP & ME at that time of the morning on New Years Day, and how lozzy was sober enough to answer...

Forum Editor 00:05 03 Dec 2008

back in November 2000, but the forum was then very much in its infancy, and I always date our birthdays from December 2000.

Back then a six month subscription (no DVDs then) would have cost you £11:99, and we were saying that "The PC's days may be numbered
But it’s boom time for PDAs and MP3 players" and reviewing the newest kid on the block - the Xircom Global 56K Modem PC Card, a snip at £110.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017