3 points and £60 to a Millionaire - costs them

Seth Haniel 10:11 02 Mar 2010

click here

Not so clever now! Millionaire couple caught speeding 'forgot' which one had been driving - so magistrates fined them £1,280 and gave them six points each

birdface 10:38 02 Mar 2010

I can see this carrying on for a few years yet when they appeal.
Did they get what they deserved,I don't know.
It meens that the magistrate found an innocent person guilty and I suppose will now have a criminal record.
To me that is not justice just an excuse for justice.

Quickbeam 11:09 02 Mar 2010

whether or not we agree with the principle of why the law was changed, it can't be right to knowingly find one of two people that must be innocent, guilty, so as to make sure the guilty one is punished.

What if we had the death penalty and applied that logic to a crime similar to the PC Blakelock murder. The whole gang would have been hanged. Some may not care about that, as the guilty member would be thought to have been punished.

Have the human rights of the innocent party been breached?

WhiteTruckMan 11:36 02 Mar 2010

and also personal experience I believe that they know who was driving, and this was a deliberate attempt at obfuscation on their part.

Punishing the innocent? How about conspiring to pervert the cause of justice?

WTM

Cymro. 11:36 02 Mar 2010

Hardly the same thing is it?
Making a comparison between a capital offence and a speeding ticket does not back up your argument.

The scam of not admitting who the driver was has been tried all too often and had to be bought to an end. Not an ideal solution I admit but what do you suggest?

folsom 11:44 02 Mar 2010

Totally agree with WTM...this deliberate attempt at getting out of a speeding charge is to often used and in this case, rightly punished.

Quickbeam 11:55 02 Mar 2010

That's assuming it was a scam. Doesn't beyond all reasonable doubt apply to all justice.

Cymro. 12:06 02 Mar 2010

So what are we suppose to do then, let off everyone who uses this excuse? If they let one couple off then they will have to let everyone who says they don`t know who was driving off.

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:22 02 Mar 2010

'So what are we suppose to do then, let off everyone who uses this excuse? If they let one couple off then they will have to let everyone who says they don`t know who was driving off'..a certain Man United manager used the same excuse a few years ago and I seem to remember that a certain Chief Plod used it as well...hey ho.

G

Chegs ®™ 12:32 02 Mar 2010

A more fair verdict would've been to endorse one licence & prosecute the other for "attempting to pervert the course of justice" and leave it to the couple to decide who gets what penalty.As perverting the course of justice can carry a jail term,I feel this might jog the drivers memory.

Quickbeam 12:38 02 Mar 2010

but there will be convicted innocents, even if only a few, it makes it a desperate, badly drafted and unjust law.

I would think it could be discredited if someone had the money and tenacity to challenge it. The government know that virtually no-one can afford to take it through the courts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017