£2m plan to measure the nation's happiness

lotvic 23:08 25 Nov 2010
Answered

click here I don't think I'm happy to have £2m spent on a survey for this.
How about the rest of you?

Forum Editor 23:16 25 Nov 2010

the government will ever spend. It's a unique initiative - as far as I know it's never been done before - and might reveal far more about the state of society than a lot of other studies put together.

Although the media have grabbed hold of the 'happiness' idea I think the survey will actually use the word 'wellbeing'. The government wants to know whether or not we have a sense of wellbeing, which is a different thing to happiness. It's a great way to gauge a government's performance, and it will be interesting not only to see the result of the study, but to see what the government does with the information.

spuds 23:54 25 Nov 2010

And there's me thinking that a recession is dragging everyone down, and money is extremely tight.

Our local council and those in surrounding districts, plus emergency services etc are already belly-aching about getting a lot less money from the government, and due to this fact that are having to make massive cuts in services and employees.

But I suppose all this 'happiness' is like some of the schemes that get money from the Lottery Fund, and how crackpot some of them seem.

Quickbeam 06:47 26 Nov 2010
Answer

Give it to me and I'll be happy on behalf of you all.

morddwyd 08:17 26 Nov 2010

Oh goody.

Another Quango

The National Wellbeing Project

carver 10:08 26 Nov 2010

Can't think of a better way to spend the money, 2 million, a drop in the ocean, and if they don't get the results they want it will be our fault for not giving the right answers..

While it is being run the people who are getting paid out of this money will be happy, now how can I apply for a job to see how happy you lot are, I'll settle for £50000 a year, should keep me happy for a few years until the next hair brained scheme.

john 52 10:25 26 Nov 2010

What a load of rubbish !Tony Blair tried this before and in the end abandoned it why do governments just have to waste money on these type of projects ! myself I would sooner this money was spent on building homes to house people in or employ more front line staff .

n47. 10:52 26 Nov 2010

with a clipboard, on the many holidays they get, to record the nations well being.

That would be interesting.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:00 26 Nov 2010

If Caneron wants to see how happy people are, why doesn't he take a solo walk round some large housing estates without his security staff?

G

Clapton is God 11:16 26 Nov 2010

HM Government survey.

Q). Are you happy and/or have a sense of wellbeing?

Response from the masses

A). No. Next question??

Simples.

oresome 11:45 26 Nov 2010

Once the Government has quantified it, I can't help but think we'll be taxed on it.

Best to remain gloomy to minimise the tax bill.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?