2:59 of pure drama

spikeychris 11:45 06 Feb 2009
  dagbladet 12:01 06 Feb 2009

What is it?

cycoze 12:08 06 Feb 2009

transcript of the pilot and air traffic control from the Hudson River plane crash.

Very calm.

MAJ 12:24 06 Feb 2009

Capt Chesley Sullenberger is one of those marvellous people we all rely on, day in and day out, those who know their job inside out, those who know their equipment and it's capabilities inside out, those who know their own capabilities inside out. The heart surgeon who says, don't worry, I'll fix that leaky valve and you just know he/she will, the neuro-surgeon who says, don't worry, I'll remove that tumour for you and you just know he/she will. The electrician who says, don't worry I'll get your lights working again and you just know he/she will.
The first time I remember noticing one of those people was when I was in a small clinker-built boat that was being used as a ferry between Warrenpoint and O'Meath in Ireland. I was coming back across the bay in the ferry with my treasured bow and arrow and native American headdress that my grandmother had just bought for me in O'Meath , when the wind got up, the boat thrashed from side to side, waves coming in over the side covering me in the salty spray. I looked round at the ferryman, he just smiled and I knew it was okay. I was about seven or eight years old. I always wanted to be one of those people.

Monoux 12:34 06 Feb 2009

MAJ -- Aaaaargh -- gone all weepy now :o)

Hope you followed Chris De Burghs advice and didn't pay him til he got you to the other side though !!

MAJ 12:52 06 Feb 2009

I was wondering who would be the first to mention Chris de Burgh, Monoux, lol, you won the prize. I'm holding your prize for you, please send £22.99 to release it, it could be a pen or a Ferrari Enzo.

Legolas 13:29 06 Feb 2009

I admit to being a little worried about your tale when you mentioned bows, arrows and headdresses, of course my fears were allayed when I read on and realised you were only eight.

I know what you mean about people that lay your fears to rest. Whe I was young, maybe about 12 ior 13, my mate and myself went to the Isle of Cumbrae off the west coast of Scotland, this of course means a short boat trip accross a normally placid stretch of water.

On the way there no problem, on the way back a sudden squall got up and the ship also lost power. It was very rough and everyone on board was being thrown about quite badly, also the ship was being thrown towards one of the small islands that are of the coast of Cumbrae.

My mate and my self were trying to look unconcerned and nonchalantly asked one of the crew if we would be OK he smiled and nodded looking completely relaxed. It put our minds at rest and we were soon back on dry ground.

spikeychris 14:06 06 Feb 2009

If you had clicked the URL you will have found out yourself.

crosstrainer 14:29 06 Feb 2009

Impressively calm by the pilot, who remained unflappable (unlike the ATC who kept getting the flight number wrong)

oresome 14:33 06 Feb 2009

I listened to and read the dialogue the other day and could only marvel at the professionalism and cool headedness of the captain.

If ever there was a case of the right man being in the right place at the right time, this was it.

In fact the entire rescue operation was a credit to all those involved.

crosstrainer 14:37 06 Feb 2009

It's true, he did a fine job, but he (and all his passengers and crew) were very lucky too.

No Hudson River? = Massive loss of life on the ground as well as on the plane.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

11 must-have iMessage stickers packs by Jean Jullian, Christoph Niemann, Jon Burgerman & more

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Que faire en cas de vol ou perte de votre smartphone ?