24 Hour Shopping

spuds 12:00 31 Jan 2009

Its only within the last few years that the UK as got into the 24 hour shopping routine, but is it really necessary.

There as been quite a number of supermarkets who converted to the 24 hour system, and other stores and shops have perhaps extended the opening hours to possibly 8/10 pm closing on certain days. But in the city that I live, the staff of some of these places are stating that they are 'very bored', because no customers are flocking to their places of employment, in these 'unsociable hours'. The various employees, some of whom have only been recently employed, want the shopping malls etc to revert possibly back to the 9 to 5 trading system.

Whats your views?.

wee eddie 12:08 31 Jan 2009

Like being able to Shop at other times.

As a Back-Shift Taxi Driver, I like being able to drop into Tesco at 3.30am and get a sandwich or wee soft drink.

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:09 31 Jan 2009

'revert possibly back to the 9 to 5 trading system' as 'most' people work between these time and as they have the spending power, this would be a step backwards. It would be better to have opening hours as 1300-2100. It would make no difference to the jobless what time the shops were open but it would make a difference to ones in work.

G

tullie 12:11 31 Jan 2009

P0eople work 24/7.why not retailers.

birdface 12:15 31 Jan 2009

Well usually they have staff working filling shelves Etc for the next day.So the conclusion was probably why not open the store as well so we can make money to help pay for the night workers.That way I would imagine it would help keep their prices down.[want the shopping malls etc to revert possibly back to the 9 to 5 trading system.] And work out how many jobs would be lost that way.Most of the stores pay very good wages especially for those just working weekend nights which is ideal if you have a young family.And taking into account the work problems we find ourselves in to day.I would imagine that they will get many applications from folk looking for work.
I totally agree it must be very boring if you are sitting there with very little to do all night.If you are busy the time passes quickly if not it is a matter of clock watching all night.

crosstrainer 14:50 31 Jan 2009

With the shift in working patterns over the past decade or so, 24 hour shopping is a real lifeline for many. Although retired now, I regularly shop in superstores in the early hours of the morning.

No queues, no fuss, you can buy anything from food to fridges without tripping over young children, or having to raise your voice to make yourself heard.

WhiteTruckMan 15:03 31 Jan 2009

that supermarket night staff are doing sitting around doing nothing. They may be bored, but I cant see supermarket managers putting up with staff doing nothing at all for long periods.

WTM

Cymro. 15:31 31 Jan 2009

The supermarkets must be doing something right as there must be enough people going to their shops at all hours to make it worth while for them to open-up.

Although I must admit I only know one person who regularly uses the 24 hour opening service and she tells me there several others there as well as her.

The only problem she has is as they only have a couple of tills open she still takes just as long to get through the check out.

crosstrainer 15:47 31 Jan 2009

Try Tesco on the Western Ave. No wait, buy food, games, telly's staff on hand to take it to the car....Great.

Try it on a Saturday anytime after 9AM, 100's of people, staff harassed and unhelpful as a result.

I'm sticking with 2AM!

oresome 17:30 31 Jan 2009

I don't know how you manage to shop through the night.

We shop at stores that are open 24 hours, but if we go early morning at say 09:30 we find that the fresh milk hasn't been put out, the wet fish monger hasn't layed out the stall yet, the breads not ready, the fresh pizzas aren't made etc etc.

spuds 14:12 01 Feb 2009

There are some good points being raised on this discussion, and many points are valid as to what a customer might expect.

Only the other Saturday, I wanted an item that was out of reach in a well known sports store. The staff were to busy stock taking and loading shelves (we are talking about a busy Saturday here!) to provide customer care or assistance. This same store had 2 checkouts open, when it had provisions for 6 outlets. The queues were very long and people were getting annoyed, due to slow service and negative responses. People with returns or questions, were being dealt with from these same 2 checkouts.None of the staff seemed to care, yet one of its near competitors is struggling for survival.

The same thing that I have found with 24 hour supermarkets. Most 'deli' counters are closed, as are other similar 'fresh' counters. You have whats on the shelves or nothing at all.

I get the impression with modern shopping, that the store next door, which as just closed down and the staff have all been made redundant, doesn't seem to make any difference to the way of thinking at other similar outlets, who perhaps are in the throws of a pending credit crunch. Being bored (usually self made) seems to count more than being without a job.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?