205 Weeks to go!

version8 11:09 24 Aug 2008

They keep mentioning on the TV & Radio it's only 205 weeks until London host's the 2012 Games.

The medal haul for these games has been very good, but can we get more in 4 years time?

octal 11:17 24 Aug 2008

Yes, if we put the resources and finance into it like we have at these games, there's no reason why not.

Pine Man 11:45 24 Aug 2008

It has certainly proved the value of funds during this olympics - but is that good value for money?

Si_L 11:54 24 Aug 2008

I think so, being in our home country is no doubt going to give our national athletes a boost.

And if not, we can always rig it ;)

DieSse 12:18 24 Aug 2008

".....but is that good value for money?"

There is no calculation that can be done to figure that one out. Many factors are intangible or unmeasurable.

Factors like

The general health of the population because of taking part in physical activities.

The general well-being of the population because of having more ways to spend non-working time

The potential improved trade from a better image of the country abroad, with concomitant improvements in exchange rates, business confidence - and then general affluence and employment.

Alternative ways of spending taxes, and so on.

You can argue about these forever - but you can't measure them - so you'll never know if it's "good value for money".

Forum Editor 12:50 24 Aug 2008

to s steady stream of Olympic threads over the next four years.

octal 13:46 24 Aug 2008

"I look forward with mixed feelings

to s steady stream of Olympic threads over the next four years."

Lock 'em!

Sorry, just jesting.

interzone55 13:53 24 Aug 2008

"I look forward with mixed feelings

to s steady stream of Olympic threads over the next four years."

Can we not have a moratorium until Jan 2012, like the ban on mentioning the December festive period until December arrives?

DieSse 14:35 24 Aug 2008

"I look forward with mixed feelings...."

Don't worry about it - in 4 and a bit years it'll all be over.

;-))

Now I'll promise to try not to mention it again (unless provoked, of course).

peter99co 16:11 24 Aug 2008

Puts an end to all the nonsense of non-competetitive sports days at school.

Is this stupid idea still around? Do the schools still stunt childrens growth in this area?

oresome 16:45 24 Aug 2008

I can't imagine that the construction projects will be finished on time, let alone on budget, so we may have to break with tradition and delay the start by a year or two.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017