2010 the start of a new decade-well is it?

jack 12:43 02 Jan 2010

This old question harks back the the millennium change too.
And I guess it depends on if one is using base ten where does the 0 year come -- at be beginning or the end?
One argument suggests that an anniversary celebrates the passing of time.
Thus a child's 1st birthday celebrates the
passing its first year of life- so is that year 1 or as the period past is not a year it should be '0'

So bouncing that around which is it is 2010 the beginning or the end of a decade
Should 2011 be the start year of the second decade?

Are your heads clear enough from recent shenanigans
to think about it?
I only came in here to warm up - now I'm off back to the loft to continue threading cable---brrrrrrrr

Forum Editor 12:47 02 Jan 2010

that the decade started at the beginning of the year 2000, and by that reckoning the beginning of 2010 comes ten years later. A decade has passed if you use that system.

It really doesn't matter that much, does it? We all know what we mean.

morddwyd 18:37 02 Jan 2010

"it was winning the war which gave us the idea that we deserved a reward."

Well the reward was a hell of a long time coming with food rationing still in place in 1954, nine years later!

doesnotcompute 19:35 02 Jan 2010

Counting forward from the reputed birth of jesus in the year 0 would that not mean that decades should end in 1? This was the same arguement used against the millenium celebrations being held at the end of 1999 and nat 2000.

interzone55 19:36 02 Jan 2010

"Counting forward from the reputed birth of jesus in the year 0"

Seeing as current thinking has identified that the Star of David was most likely Halley's Comet, Jesus was probably born in 12 BC, so the current decade started 11 or 12 years ago...

doesnotcompute 19:37 02 Jan 2010

obviously too much sherry - should be not

interzone55 19:38 02 Jan 2010

How did that happen?
I could read doesnotcompute's 19:37 post before I sent mine, but my post inserted itself bin at 19:36

Very weird...

bremner 19:54 02 Jan 2010

This is a problem that has been apparent for many weeks.

I hope it will be addressed by the techies when they fix the problems the site has been experiencing over the holiday period.

jack 11:19 03 Jan 2010

Time is ephemeral[is that the right word]
It appears different to folk in other parts of the world.
For example Sunrise/Sunset is later in Bristol than in London by a minute or so - So that when Railways came along - timetables were at best approximate- so time for UK was standardised....Well that was the idea any way - rail timekeeper went from bad to worse over the coming century- for different reason of course.
When my E-mail comes in each morning - some item pop themselves up into yesterdays list-
This suggests to me that the timestamp- presumably applied by the sender- then has to go through the person Server - which may take a different routing to another and this take a little longer to arrive.

Forum Editor 11:54 03 Jan 2010

The mail servers via which the message travelled.

One server sends the mail (SMTP) and one receives it (POP). If either or both of these servers have different clock times to the clock on your system you may get confusing information.

An added potential error is time zones. There's a convention called RFC 822 which defines Internet standards for recording time zone information and defines ten alphabetic time zone labels. Time zone offsets West of Greenwich are expressed as negative numbers and time zone offsets East of Greenwich are expressed as positive numbers. Local time is calculated by the receiving server from the message header of the sending mail server.

If a mail server is set up to use an alpha-numeric time zone, and not the RFC 822 label it will wrongly calculate the local time, and the message time will look odd.

jack 13:27 03 Jan 2010

That sorts the E-mail conundrum nicely, the only question now remains was todays mail sent in the last decade or the next? ;-}

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?