2 million Britons emigrate in the past 10 years

hssutton 10:35 20 May 2008

2 million Britons plus 1.58 million foreigners emigrate in the past 10 years. To balance this figure
3.9 million foreigners come into the country.

Do you think the Shadow Home secretary is correct in his statement that this is due to the state of the country under Labour.

Although I'm anti the present government, I think this statement to be a little simplistic.

click here

anchor 10:48 20 May 2008

Yes it may be too simplistic, but I consider there is a lot of truth in it.

The paper quotes Jill Rutter, a senior migration researcher at the IPPR, who said the recent exodus marked “probably the greatest period of emigration we’ve ever seen”. She added “A lot of this is people retiring abroad, which is a relatively new phenomenon and is only possible because we are all better off.

We are all better off over the last 10 years?; most of us will agree that this is simply not true. So why are people leaving in such numbers?; because life is better abroad, with most going to France & Spain.

hssutton 11:19 20 May 2008

"She added “A lot of this is people retiring abroad, which is a relatively new phenomenon and is only possible because we are all better off."

Well to a certain extent this is true, We (my family) would certainly have emigrated several years ago, but "We" were never ever better off, probably due to our geographical location.

Our friends made the move to Spain several years ago. Living in London they where able to sell their basic semis for in excess of £250,000, whereas at that time I could only expect approx £75,000 for my five bedroomed detatched. This funded their emigration.

So as you say some would say they where better off

belfman 12:40 20 May 2008

A friend's dad sold up, moved to France and bought a huge house with a plot of land for £97,000 and spent 30 doing it up. As well as a nice pension (something my generation will never have!) and savings he has in excess of £200,000 left from the sale of his property in England.

Equally a colleague who retired from management in IT and is temp working at our place "to keep busy" (the mid boggles)..... why would you? Bought himself a house in Portugal and plans to spend more and more time there though he said he has no plans to move out there permanently.

I can't afford to move, can't afford to buy, poor me being stuck lol. I wish I was born about a few decades earlier than I was - cheap houses that have escalated to epic prices.

I plan to get myself better qualifications and look further afield than this sorry excuse for a country.

belfman 12:41 20 May 2008

mid = mind

Picklefactory 13:09 20 May 2008

I've always maintained for years that I live in one of the best countries in the world, and in some ways, I still maintain that and do love my country. But from a standard of living viewpoint, I have been seriously considering emigrating in recent years. Obviously the influx of immigrants shows clearly that many other countries are much worse, or why would they come? But in my opinion, things are definitely on a downward slide and things affect different people in different ways and to varying degrees. Personally I have my salary annually falling 2-3% further behind inflation and feeling worse off year on year. It's a shame, but I think it is only a minority who are fortunate/skilled/educated enough to earn salaries that provide a comfortable living in this country now. Good luck to them, but it's getting tougher for the rest of us.

Quickbeam 13:09 20 May 2008

I still like Britain.

MrCutter 15:17 20 May 2008

I know of a few Doctors & many Nurses who leave to go to work in the USA or Australia/New Zealand.

hssutton 15:42 20 May 2008

My son has just been offered a job in New Zealand and he's turned it down. I must have dropped him on his head when he was young. I've been imploring him to take the job, then maybe "we" could follow him :)

interzone55 16:29 20 May 2008

My Mother-in-law's neighbours emigrated to France last year. They said they were fed up of all the immigrants.

They just don't see the irony...

badgery 16:53 20 May 2008

When Britons leave for foreign climes, isn't the weather a prime factor?
In recent times the exodus of elderly retirees is because they are well enough off and want some sun. Most, I'm sure' would prefer to stay if good weather was guaranteed here.
How many emigrate to Iceland?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?