2 billion transistors on one chip.

Forum Editor 12:49 05 Feb 2008

click here

That's some wiring job.

Stuartli 13:27 05 Feb 2008

Amazing really.

Love the classic understatement: "The dual-core Power6 processor contains just 790 million transistors".

So few must prove a real disappointment to its owners.

Earthsea 14:30 05 Feb 2008

Well, my Pentium M 740 uses 90 nanometre technology and has 140 million transistors. This laptop was state-of-the-art 2½ years ago...

But it still has bags more power than I need.

interzone55 15:12 05 Feb 2008

The next generation Sun chip, code named Rock, has 16 cores, but "only" 410m transistors.
click here

Why does the Intel Tukwila need so many?

pj123 15:15 05 Feb 2008

So who counted them? and how long did it take?

Earthsea 15:28 05 Feb 2008

'Why does the Intel Tukwila need so many?'

It's designed for high-end servers.

interzone55 15:31 05 Feb 2008

That was exactly my question when I first read it.

It's a bit like a news item I saw a couple of weeks ago when London Zoo was doing their annual "stock check", counting things like elephants is quite easy, but the insects are a little more difficult as they are small, numerous and tend to move about a lot. At least the transistors stay in one place as you count them.

interzone55 15:32 05 Feb 2008

I'm aware of that, the Sun Rock CPU is also designed for high-end servers & super computer clusters yet manages to have 16 cores with only 410mn transistors.

Earthsea 15:50 05 Feb 2008

They're both completely different architectures, and Intel use a lot of them for memory. I assume Sun don't.

Since your link says the Rock comes out in the second half of next year and Tukwila´s successor, the Poulson, is expected to be released sometime between 2010 and 2011, it'll be interesting to see how they match up.

Forum Editor 18:29 05 Feb 2008

Well, it means it can work more efficiently. Lots of the transistors are used as a memory buffer, and because they are on the chip that means the data transfer has to travel almost no distance at all - so the chip is efficient, at least in that respect.

It uses quite a bit of power in relative terms, and it 'only' runs at 2GHz, but it's ideally suited for its application.

laurie53 19:55 05 Feb 2008

I can remember one of the selling points on my first transistor radio was that it had "seven, yes seven" transistors!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?