1p and 2p coins rejected

VNAM75 23:14 15 Aug 2008

I just went to the chip shop to spend 60p in copper coins. The owner said anything over 20p in 1's and 2's is not legal tender. Is this correct?

I ended up paying with 2x20p and the rest in coppers. He didn't seemed impressed but I can understand why.

rossgolf 23:15 15 Aug 2008

lol. i just dont think he wants the coppers TBH.

Blackhat 23:22 15 Aug 2008

This should answer your question.
click here
The owner seems to be right.

GRIDD 23:22 15 Aug 2008

I think he is - there's a limit on how many coins he can accept or reject for a transaction same with Euros abroad. Off to look for info now as I remember reading it....

GRIDD 23:24 15 Aug 2008

Well done Blackhat.

Something similar applies in Europe amount the amount of coins but the trader can choose to take them.

GRIDD 23:24 15 Aug 2008

about the amount*

dermot-titus 23:27 15 Aug 2008

Where is your chip shop?

Buy something for 60p!!!!!!!!!!

Around here you need a platinum card, at least.

wiz-king 23:34 15 Aug 2008

Is that the new price of 'half a penny worth of crackling'?

VNAM75 23:53 15 Aug 2008

I bought 2 fritters. I had thought about taking in £1.60 for a chips and curry! I've got a nescafe jar of the things.

dermot-titus 23:58 15 Aug 2008

Lancashire today.

I hunted high and low for a decent fish and chip shop and all I could come up with were Chinese establishments. The fish were square!!!!!!!!!

Don't you lot have proper fish and chips over there?

€dstowe 06:51 16 Aug 2008

I also collect small change in a jar and periodically I count it up and take it to the village shop where they are more than pleased to take any amount of small coins from me - even a straight exchange for cash, I don't need to buy anything.

Doesn't your chip shop need change for its transactions?

Dermot: Some of the best fish and chips are from establishments on the sea front in Brighton. If you are down that way, give it a try. Real local fish and real chips - you can actually see the potatoes being cut up at the back of the shops.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

Game of Thrones GIFs: how Eran Mendel is creating hilarious weekly GIFs based on each episode's…

How to increase storage on iPhone

Nokia 8 : rumeurs & soirée de lancement