18 months

spikeychris 16:55 29 Jan 2005

"The internet "has created a dark hole, a dungeon if you will, for people who have mental illnesses or people who are lonely", Judge Marsha Pechman told the Seattle court."

click here

octal 17:07 29 Jan 2005

Sad really, the guy needs help, not jail.

VoG II 17:17 29 Jan 2005

Well, the internet has opened up horizons for millions of others.

I think it was a pretty stupid remark but perhaps it was quoted out of context.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:23 29 Jan 2005

He is right but the statement was referring to a small part of the net. There are indeed some completely ga-ga people on the net, as in all walks of society. Jailing the person is not the way forward though.

G

carolineann 18:13 29 Jan 2005

These stories prove not only that normal, stable everyday folks are using the internet to find anything, but that sometimes... there's still a lot of freaks out there.
But in this case I agree ...the kid needs help not punishment.

spikeychris 18:38 29 Jan 2005

"the kid needs help not punishment" What kind of help should he receive? Hes not psychotic or any other or the conditions beginning with Ps/Py. The world is full of genuine people who really do need help. He knew what he was doing just as Johny scumbag does when hes breaking into your house whist your asleep and nicking your video.

This man released a worm that crippled 48,000 computers which probably cost millions of pounds to sort, it put the frightners on the not so techy web users and was International news for quite a while.

He's hardly going to be breaking rocks or doing bird at Alcatraz, he will be in a minimal security prison. Personally I think the judge has been lenient with him, I know the Blaster was easily sorted [once companies like Symantec worked 24/7 to get a fix] and they made a killing on selling to the petrified but the geezer was trying to make a name for himself. If he hadn't have been caught he would have given himself up.

Just as long as no one says "lets use his talent productivly"..........

Dan the Confused 18:55 29 Jan 2005

Agoraphobia is not an uncommon condition and people who have it are normal. It is no defence for writing a virus and the punishment seems fair to me, although I do think what the Judge said sounded a bit daft.

carolineann 19:02 29 Jan 2005

Though some people might think agoraphobics are simply eccentric, fear of going outside the home by definition can be seriously debilitating. If a person, for example, can't ride on public transportation, go into shopping malls, or enjoy any type of public entertainment outside the home, social interaction becomes extremely limited and the life lived sadly sterile.

Dan the Confused 19:20 29 Jan 2005

I agree, and I'm sure his condition will be taken into account while in prison. Hopefully he will receive treatment for it and may possibly even benefit from his time there.

watchful 19:26 29 Jan 2005

For once I agree with Gandalf and several others here. Unless people in his frame of mind receive help, hopefully whilst in custody, then there will be more victims.

PurplePenny 20:09 29 Jan 2005

I'm with Spikeychris on this one. The guy committed a crime; he knew what he was doing and the effect it would have; that's *why* he did it.

Being agoraphobic is not an excuse for being a law breaker (and before anyone jumps on me I know what I'm talking about; on bad days I cannot even open the door to put the rubbish out).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017