£13,700 paid for island that does not exist

JaßîsFaß ˜ 14:05 18 Dec 2004

click here

Owner is able to tax other gamers who come to his virtual land to hunt or mine for gold. He has also begun to sell plots to people who wish to build virtual homes.

Anyone here going to buy a plot?

picklsey 15:11 18 Dec 2004

only if they have lost the plot.

CurlyWhirly 15:47 18 Dec 2004

The person concerned must have more money than sense! lol

Forum Editor 16:05 18 Dec 2004

I think the person concerned has a good deal of sense - he should make quite a tidy sum from this investment.

spikeychris 16:12 18 Dec 2004

He probably will FE but try explaining it to my Gran.......

powerless 16:35 18 Dec 2004

speculate to accumulate

Dorsai 19:10 18 Dec 2004

I am guessing, but if he 'won' the money in the game and used this money to buy the island in the game, he is just reinvesting in what so far has prooved a profitable enterprise for him. Fair Play.

CurlyWhirly 19:12 18 Dec 2004

I think the person concerned has a good deal of sense - he should make quite a tidy sum from this investment.

After re-reading the article I see what you mean!

Kate B 19:52 18 Dec 2004

I think it's a brilliant idea, actually. Any commodity can be priced, even if it's virtual real estate. Should be absolutely fascinating to see how that virtual parallel economy develops - and if people are making real money as opposed to virtual spondulicks at it. I just wish I'd thought of it first!

And I guess - as an afterthought - it's a logical development of all kinds of virtual places and money, like the "simoleons" you spend in The Sims.

Dorsai 20:40 18 Dec 2004

Money is virtual already, just numbers in a computer or on a rectangle of worthless paper/disk of base metal.

How much is a £20 note worth? It's only a small piece of paper, with ink on.

Salinger 21:24 18 Dec 2004

I'm quite prepared to pay the Bank of England the cost of the paper, ink, printing and labour if they'd supply me with 10 Kilos of the above note!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?