12 mins/hour of TV adverts

anchor 16:37 23 Feb 2011

I read that Ofcom have given permission for ITV, Channels 4 and 5 to interrupt films with up to 12 minutes of adverts every hour. The revised guidelines will allow two six-minute breaks per hour.

click here

Would you be prepared to wait 6 minutes for the film to resume?.

Colin 20:54 23 Feb 2011

I'd gladly pay double the TV licence fee to watch TV without commercial adverts. Like other posters, we record most programmes and skip the adverts. They don’t advertise anything of interest to me anyway. I notice that many American programmes shown on the BBC such as Mad Men are 40 to 45 minutes long which probably means an hour in America.

Bingalau 22:07 23 Feb 2011

Wasn't there some rule made when ITV first started out, that only a certain number of minutes would be allowed per hour? I think it was about five. They were afraid it might descend to the level of the programs in the USA. I know it is probably long before most of you were born, but what's the point of making these rules only to relax them after a number of years? I notice that ITV3 seems to be the worst offender these days.

skeletal 22:41 23 Feb 2011

I sometimes watch some of the millions of “other” channels. Some of them are dreadful for adverts. I thought it was me losing my sense of time, so I actually timed the ads with a stopwatch. For a “half hour” programme there was a six minute advert, and the programme finished six minutes short of the half hour for the next six minute break. So in half an hour there was 12 minutes of adverts and 18 minutes of programme.

As others have said, recording and ad skipping is the only way, until the recorders incorporate the technology that stops you skipping ads that is. There was talk of this some time ago, but thankfully nothing has come of it.

Skeletal

Forum Editor 00:07 24 Feb 2011

"...what's the point of making these rules only to relax them after a number of years?"

The point is that commercial TV advertising revenues have not been good over the past couple of years. In 2009 total ad revenue fell by 11%, and that had a massive impact. ITV's revenue will improve in the first quarter, but not by much - there's concern in the company about this year.

OFCOM knows that it's in the TV audience's interest to have as much choice as possible, and 12 minutes an hour in a film isn't the end of the world if it helps the channel to prosper.

The forthcoming Royal wedding should boost ad revenues, but something like that isn't going to happen very often.

mole44 05:22 24 Feb 2011

do like me i got rid of my television,now i`ve got only the radio,and internet.Wow the freedom from the one eyed monster.

canarieslover 08:32 24 Feb 2011

I guess that you are not married. I can live without TV fairly happily, there are only a couple of programs I would miss, but my wife is an addict. If I got rid of the TV it would be good solid grounds for divorce as far as she is concerned.

morddwyd 08:55 24 Feb 2011

While there is not much danger of the soaps losing popularity, the law of diminishing returns may well start to apply.

I no longer listen to Classic FM half as much as I used to, and when I do it goes off after about fifteen minutes, entirely because of the amount of advertising, particularly, as mentioned earlier, "self advertising".

Is this included in the restrictions, or are they only applicable to third party adverts?

Big L 266 09:40 24 Feb 2011

Hello.

Only 12 mins of TV adverts per hour? Good grief! They've cut it back then! The other evening on one commercial freeview channel there were around 20 minutes of adverts shoved in a one hour programme I wanted to see.(No it wasn't 'Deal Or No Deal').

Having seen an advert in which a long-haired chap insults my intelligence by shouting 'Buy one get one free' followed by 'BUY ONE GET ONE FREE' as he pushes over several window frames,I realise commercial TV is a right pain. I hardly watch any commercial TV and certainly watch even less now.

Thank goodness for BBC radio and TV and my computer.I don't think I'd miss my TV if it ever went wrong anyway its so underused.

Big L

knockin on 10:13 24 Feb 2011

by the 40 odd mins per hour programme rule. If they want to sell overseas they have to meet the timing rules, I imagine.
All the fills are, of course, for their own programmes.
Yesterday a voice over at the credits squeezing part of a programme end announced details of the programme to follow whilst showing a still picture of the main characters. The voice over ended with the words 'more on that in a moment'
This was followed immediately by a clip trailing the very same programme. How long before we get this dialogue like 'There now follows a short advert for the advert which will follow it.
I would prefer that broadcasters with nothing to broadcast close down transmissions for a few hours.

anchor 12:32 24 Feb 2011

Without doubt 2008 and 2009 were quite bad financially. However, judging by independent reports, 2010 marked a noticeable turn round, and revenue prospects for 2011 are good.

click here

click here

Yet, despite this, we are facing cuts in expensive programming, such as drama, and increased advertising.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires