Is 100Mbps broadband for all a basic right?

simonjary 07:02 26 Sep 2013

The Commons Public Accounts Committee says that the government has failed to ensure proper competition by awarding all 26 rural broadband contracts to BT.

But BT was the only bidder to provide broadband to rural areas, and claims it won't recoup its investment for 15 years.

Meanwhile I'm still waiting for fibre broadband in central London.

The BBC report lists the UK as miles behind much of the world on high-speed broadband:

• Denmark plans to have 100 megabits per second to all by 2020

• Estonia wants 100Mbps for everyone by 2015

• France plans almost universal coverage at 100Mbps by 2020

• Germany expects to have around 70% coverage at 50Mbps by 2014

• Greece wants 100% of citizens to have access to 30Mbps by 2020

• Ireland plans 100Mbps for all by 2020

• Italy wants to see half of its citizens have access to 100Mbps by 2020

• The UK's target is 90% coverage by 2017 but at the lower speed of 24Mbps

Do we all need 100Mbps or are we just a bunch of spoilt first-world moaners?

BT 08:28 26 Sep 2013

"Do we all need 100Mbps..."

It would be very nice but doesn't often happen even if our provider says thats what we have. I have up to 60mbs from Virgin and the speed varies between 35 and 60 with the average being around 40- 45 most of the time. Unfortunately the words 'up to' say it all, its not gauranteed.

fourm member 08:48 26 Sep 2013

So, if the PAC says BT shouldn't have got the contracts then is it saying no contracts should have been awarded? So, no rural broadband.

Remarkable.

Do we all need 100Mbps?

I have no way of knowing.

If I could get say 10Mbps rather than the 1.96 I get at present I might be able to see if that is enough.

Anyone interesting in a reverse bragging contest? Who has below 1.96?

woodchip 08:56 26 Sep 2013

I think this is a case of Do you need it, or is it just because they say I can have it, I should have it. My speed on a BT line with talktalk click here copper wire one and half miles from exchange

Nontek 09:08 26 Sep 2013

woodchip

Your link only takes one to the Speed Test, not your actual speed!

I ran the test using your link and this was my result (using BT Infinity), location Portsmouth area.

Up = 74.166mbps

Down = 16.544mbps

Nontek 09:10 26 Sep 2013

Oops, also meant to add, But BT was the only bidder to provide broadband to rural areas, and claims it won't recoup its investment for 15 years.

So at least BT are having a go!!

Quickbeam 09:13 26 Sep 2013

"Anyone interesting in a reverse bragging contest? Who has below 1.96?"

Do you have to wait for the operator to plug wires in and out of a big switchboard for every site you visit...?

Forum Editor 09:25 26 Sep 2013

Nobody really needs a dishwasher, or a washing machine, but those items have become very much essential items for vast numbers of people. I don't think that any home internet user can seriously claim to need an ultra fast connection, but it would certainly be desirable, all other things being equal.

In business a fast connection is more or less an essentiial, however.

namtas 09:41 26 Sep 2013

But BT was the only bidder to provide broadband to rural areas, and claims it won't recoup its investment for 15 years.

Maybe that had something to do with the fact that BT own almost all, if not all the network, all providers have to use (rent) the line from them at some point.

If other providers were to bid, their first task to catch up would have been to lay thousands of miles cables and that just to be on a even playing field, before adding any support structure such as individual premise access. I can understand why they were not interested

bumpkin 09:54 26 Sep 2013

namtas, exactly what I thought as soon as I read it.

bumpkin 09:56 26 Sep 2013

I did not put a link in the post.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?