100 years since the naval attack on the North East

Quickbeam 08:33 16 Dec 2014

Just watching the breakfast news and see that it's 100 years since the North East seaside towns were bombarded by a force of German capital ships.

I mention it as a friend of mine had a Great (or Gt Gt) aunt that lost her foot with a shrapnel shard slicing through her ankle while working as a 17 year old chamber maid in the Grand Hotel in Scarborough.

Apparently when she approached the hotel manager some months later about returning to work, she was curtly told that The Grand Hotel did not employ cripples!

However she went on the run her own guest house.

Quickbeam 11:59 16 Dec 2014

Just realised that I missed the link out.

1914 Bombardment

Quickbeam 12:12 16 Dec 2014

There's even an interesting dedicated site.

spuds 13:44 16 Dec 2014

Some of this was shown on a television program a few weeks back, including interviews from the remaining survivor's.

Even Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft had its encounters click here

pavvi 06:20 17 Dec 2014

There was also a blitz in the first world war. Many Kent towns were bombed as well as London. Usually by planes called Gotha - named after a very pretty city in the middle of Germany. The RAF in it's infancy retaliated.

kylie23 14:59 18 Dec 2014

That was a very sad event but fear should not conquer us to fight for peace and unity. I hope terrorist and malevolent groups will be gone forever. Just recently, the terrorist attack in Pakistan made the whole world mourn. That was very tragic!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?