Zyxel P660HW Wireless Security Problem

paulbrum 19:19 30 Jan 2007

Hi - I have recently installed a Zyxel P-660HW wireless router. Setup ok (a little confusing but got there in the end) but for the life of me I cannot enable the wireless security (WEP or WPA etc).

I have the router plugged ito the telephone socket downstairs and the G202 USB wireless adapter plugged into the computer upstairs. I'm using the Zyxel utlity software (in station mode) that came with the G202 usb dongle to configure the connection. Internet connection fine, speed good - but i have an unsecured link!!

I've managed to hide SSID sending via the web page configuration tool - so have some security, but when i use a WEP encryption pass phrase on the usb software and repeat the same codes on the web configuration software for the router, I loose connection and the internet.

Am i missing somthing, do I need to change settings in windows as well as the usb software and router (bear in mind I'm not using windows to manage the connection - zyxel software instead) - have I got the process right --> activate WEP encryption on the usb software --> repeat settings on the web configurator for the router ??

Your help would be appreciated as i'm concerned about an unsecure conection

Paul

mgmcc 09:38 31 Jan 2007

<<< but when i use a WEP encryption pass phrase on the usb software and repeat the same codes on the web configuration software for the router, I loose connection and the internet. >>>

The WEP or WPA encryption key should be set up in the router first and this must be done by connecting to it by ethernet cable. If you try to do it "wirelessly", as soon as you save the settings, the wireless connection will crash.

Once set up in the router, delete any existing 'profile' in the PC's wireless settings and go through the procedure to "Connect" again. In other words, run the wireless adapter's software, scan for "Available Wireless Networks", find and highlight the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and select the option to "Connect" to it. You should be prompted to enter any WEP or WPA encryption key and, once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

paulbrum 16:06 31 Jan 2007

DONE it - thanks for the above note - also got good, quick support from Zxyel - was going about it the wrong way, now have WPA-PSK encryption set up - working fine.

Thanks

Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone