Zoom X6 ADSL router

lucybee 16:35 12 Sep 2007

Trying to connect my sisters PC to the Zoom x6 wireless router but having major issues. When I get to the stage of detecting ISP settings (on auto detect), I get an error message stating that the 'zoom router cannot be found'. I also cannot access the management page on click here in order to ammend any settings in there as I just get the "page cannot be displayed" message... She's on orange broadband by the way running windows XP.

scotty 17:10 12 Sep 2007

Set up of a wireless router is simpler if you use a wired connection. Do you have the necessary parts to do this?

lucybee 17:33 12 Sep 2007

sorry, should have been more clear. I have wired it all up, etc as the set up disk says.. I know I'm doing something wrong, just completely stumped as to what :oS

ambra4 17:40 12 Sep 2007

lucybee

Did you set up the Lan card and your browser to access the router?

If any firewalls are installed on any of the PCs, uninstall them.
This includes Zone Alarm, Sygate, Kerio, Norton Internet Security, Zero Knowledge Freedom, Cisco VPN Client, F-Secure, McAfee Firewall, Trend Micro, etc.
In many cases, disabling the firewall is not enough; you have to actually uninstall it.
Do not install or re-install the firewall until after you have the network functioning properly

Web Browser Settings

Start your web browser. Select “Tools” then “Internet Options”.
In the “Internet Options” screen, there are three selections:
“Never dial a connection”,
“Dial whenever a network connection is not present”
“Always dial my default connection”.
If you can make a selection, select “Never dial a connection”.
If you cannot make a selection, go to the next step.
Under the “Internet Options” screen, click on “Connections”
Select “LAN Settings”
Make sure there are no check marks next to any of the displayed Options:
“Automatically detect settings”,
“Use automatic configuration script
“Use a proxy server”.
Click “OK”.
Then click “OK” again in the “Internet Options” page.

Network Adapter Setup on the Computer

Also called a LAN card (Local Area Network) or NIC card (Network Interface Connection)
Click “Start”, “Settings” Network Connection
Double-click on the “Network Connection
Left-click on the “Local Area Connection” associated with your network adapter
Select “Properties” from the drop-down menu.
In the “Local Area Connection Properties” window all boxes should be ticked
Tick the box “Show Icon in Notification Area When Connected,
An Icon will appear in the task bar when you have finish the setup
Click “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)” Click the “Properties” button
Select “Obtain an IP address automatically
Select “Obtain DNS server address automatically”
Do Not Change Any Other Setting
Click “OK”.

Your computer network card is now configured for use with the Modem/Router

ambra4 17:42 12 Sep 2007

Other Network Connection Setting

Start- Setting-Network Connection-New Connection Wizard-Next
Chose-Connect to the Internet-Next
Set Up My Connection Manually-Next
Click Connect using a broadband connection that is always on-Next
Finish

Open your Web browser and, in its address bar type

http?://10.0.0.2 and then press the Enter (leave out the? in the address)

This will allow you to access the router menu

ambra4 17:45 12 Sep 2007

Router Setup

Power On The Router And Wait 1-2 Min’s

Start your browser and enter the router access code, check the manual and just follow the instruction

Once the router setup is completed and you have SAVE the setting log out and close browser

Reboot the Router by power it off and back on and wait 1-2 Min’s

You should see 5 green lights showing on Modem/Router

The 2 displays Icon should be in the task bar-Right Click and click Status- Support

What you should see is the following:

Address Type: Assigned by DHCP

IP Address 192.186.1.XXX

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 192.168.X.X

If you click the Detail button you will see a lot more information the WINS Server is always blank

You should now be able to browse the Internet

If you have any other blank spaces (Gateway, IP address etc) you need to recheck the Internet Options/LAN card setting and the Router Setup

lucybee 17:45 12 Sep 2007

Hiya, I did the browser setting but not the LAN setup. Will give it a go when I try again tomorrow and let you know how it goes! Thank you very very muchly! :o)

ambra4 17:48 12 Sep 2007

Setting Up The Wireless System

You have to setup the SSID address on the router first

By default some wireless router come setup with the manufacture name as the SSID address 3Com, Linksys, Belkin etc, you can change the SSID to what ever you want, 452john06 or ezyclip01 etc.

Write it down; as the same name must be used on the wireless device when set it up to access the wireless router.

Do not setup the security system as yet, make sure that you can access the router and browse the Internet first, and then setup the security system.

If you get it wrong the wireless device will not access the wireless router or the Internet

ambra4 18:29 12 Sep 2007

Go to Page 6 Step 3: Establishing Communication in the manual
And just follow the instructions

Protocol - Select PPPoA
Encapsulation – VCMUX
VPI – 0
VCI – 38
NAT – Enabled
Username and Password in the appropriate boxes.
This information should have been given to you by your Internet service provider.

Your Username is typically your email address or the characters Preceding the @ sign in your email address. ([email protected]) etc.

Your Password is the one that you use when you requested the broadband service

This is NOT the same login you that you used earlier to open the Zoom Configuration Manager.

Click the Save Changes button, and then click the Write Settings to Flash button.

Verify that your Internet connection is working. Open your Web browser (i.e., Internet Explorer or Firefox) and try to connect to a familiar Web address.If you connect successfully, you are ready to set up the rest of your wired and/or wireless Internet connections.
(If you do not connect, see the Troubleshooting Tips on page 15.) and recheck the computer setting

ambra4 18:49 12 Sep 2007

Check out this site before you setup the wireless system could save you a lot of time and headache.

click here

Question said by first time user of ADSL Wireless Broadband

The hard wire PC does not have to be on for the wireless system to work

Once the router is on all wireless devices should have local and Internet access

With a hard wire system the LAN card runs at 100Mbps, wireless runs 54Mbps

You cannot see the wireless system from a hard wire PC only your Local Area Connection

If there is a wireless card installed on the hard wire PC you will see it in the network connection area

You should not have both the LAN and Wireless connect at the same time.

Some computers will automatic disable the LAN or wireless card as required, as this causes conflict within the router

The hard wire connection will allow you access the router setup menu, Internet, Security, Password, wireless setting etc.

The signal strength and the connect speed on the wireless PC is governed by the location of the router to the laptop, distance, amount and thickness of walls, quality of signal can verity from poor – excellence, connect speed from 1Mbps to 54Mbps

The normal connect speed on a build in wireless card or USB adapter is 54Mbps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

There’s more to Finnish artist Tove Jansson than creating the Moomins

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder la Coupe du monde de rugby à XIII en direct ?