Zoom ADSL Modem / D-Link Wireless Router question

HighTower 12:51 08 Dec 2006

I've had a Zoom X4 ADSL Modem for a while, connected to my PC via CAT5. I've recently picked up a cheap D-Link DI-524 Wireless (and wired) router which I've replaced my old Netgear switch with.

The instructions insist that I connect the Modem to the Routers WAN port vai CAT5 but if I do it just won't pick up an internet connection. If I connect the modem to any of the routers standard wired network ports then I have a connection.

So it works, and that's the main thing, but can anyone explain the purpose of the WAN port and the benefits of using that rather than the port I'm using now? And any idea how I configure the WAN port to work if I need to?

mgmcc 13:20 08 Dec 2006

By connecting the D-Link's LAN ports to the ethernet modem and the PC, it is functioning as a basic network switch. You will get online with one PC, but it isn't functioning as a router, which would support the connection of multiple computers to the internet.

At the moment, the D-link is passing the single IP address allocated by your ISP directly to your PC. What should happen is that the *router* gets that single IP address as its WAN address and, in turn, allocates LAN IP addresses, usually in a 192.168.x.x subnet, to the computers connected to it.

There shouldn't be any "configuration" of the WAN port, but you need to go into the routers Setup (type its IP address into a web browser) and configure it to connect to your ethernet modem, which is just a basic connection, possibly described as "direct" or "DHCP" or something similar. I assume that, at the moment, the Zoom modem connects automatically to the ISP and that you aren't having to establish the connection from the PC? If you are having to run a PPPoA connection session from the PC, then you may not be able to use the router correctly as a router, ADSL normally requires a combined Router & ADSL Modem.

HighTower 13:30 08 Dec 2006

Yes, the Zoom modem connects to my ISP the moment it is switched on, and it is connected to the D-Link router via the Cat 5 cable.

The Modem has the IP address of 192.168.0.2, and the router 192.168.0.1. Other computers in the network (there are three of them) are all within the same IP address range, they are numbers 3,4 and 5. Should these IP's be automatically set if the router hands them out rather than be fixed?

So if I take a quick look at the DHCP settings then I should be able to figure this out? Do I tell the router to connect to the modem via IP address?

Thanks again.

mgmcc 14:25 08 Dec 2006

<<< Yes, the Zoom modem connects to my ISP the moment it is switched on, and it is connected to the D-Link router via the Cat 5 cable. >>>

OK, but it needs to connect to the router's WAN port so that the single IP address allocated by the ISP goes to the router. Within its settings, the router will have a WAN IP address (from the ISP) and its own LAN IP address, which is presumably 192.168.0.1. It will then allocate different 192.168.0.x addresses to each computer connected to it. I don't understand your comment that the *MODEM* has an address of 192.168.0.2 - did you mean the PC's network adapter when connected to the router?

All the computers should get their IP address from the router. If you previously used Internet Connection Sharing with a "Host" PC, this must be disabled.

<<< Do I tell the router to connect to the modem via IP address? >>>

When the router's WAN port is connected to the ethernet modem, it should get the WAN IP address and be online. There isn't any additional connection to establish.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?