ZoneAlarm - what's going on here?

Sir Bob 22:26 18 Oct 2006

Now I've been using this for years with no probs... until tonight. My trusty white/blue internet suite turned into a orangy-yellow firewall with only the basic features & no licence key! (apologies if the colours are a bit off - I'm short of a chromosome)

I'm back up and running as usual after reinstalling from the last version I downloaded however, my confidence in this software has been dealt a serious blow. Has anyone else experienced a similar thing?

kauwi 23:14 18 Oct 2006

Sir Bob, Ive had some troubles with Zone Alarm in the past but they havent been that bad. 1, You may have removed software from your pc in the last few days and this is what caused it not to work. Programs can 'share' windows files that are on your pc. 2, You got stung from a virus, viruses like to disable antivirus software and in some cases remove important files that are needed for the software to run.

Hope this helps

johnnyrocker 23:19 18 Oct 2006

i had a similar problem before ZA got worse and worse resulting in eventual ditching and getting sygate, no probs since.

johnny

brundle 23:28 18 Oct 2006

Nothing wrong with your setup; the install reverted to the free ZA, which is orange etc - people who actually want the free one often miss the importance of this screen during installation; click here
(my red outline)

brundle 23:29 18 Oct 2006

Unless it was an automatic upgrade and your license has expired?

Sir Bob 21:27 19 Oct 2006

kauwi - I havn't uninstalled anything so let's hope it's not your second option! (Have to say I was concerned to read how poor ZA did in the antivirus reviews the other month.) Virus scan ran & found nothing.

brundle - I don't recall seing a screen like that. When the security suite started the first time it asked me if I wanted to do the free trial or enter my key - which I did! My current key was purchased in May so it shouldn't have been the issue.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?