ZoneAlarm and AVG

celestialstar 10:43 05 Feb 2009

I seem to have a problem with updates on AVG when I have ZoneAlarm on, it is OK with windows firewall.

Have read FAQ on AVG WEbapge but don't understnad what to do

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Lynda

howard64 11:02 05 Feb 2009

I had the same problem and ended up uninstalling avg and using Avast another free virus checker. It seems fantastic and so far three times in one day it has announced that the virus database has been updated.

Mike.B.64 11:05 05 Feb 2009

I had a conflict between Spyware Doctor and Zone Alarm firewall, so I changed to the PC Tools firewall, since when I have had no trouble.

If you are using XP I think you should have a stronger firewall than that supplied by Microsoft.

silverstar 11:10 05 Feb 2009

I am using vista on laptop: I have Zonealrm and avast on pc with XP.

Thanks to you both

Noldi 11:43 05 Feb 2009

Had a simular problem with AVG updates.
Uninstalled AVG last night and re installed it now its running OK.

Noldi

celestialstar 12:17 05 Feb 2009

Thanks again have installed avast on laptop all seems ok

Lynda

T I M B O 12:29 05 Feb 2009

Avast is a good antivirus, but that also has issues with zone alarm. It should tell you that on the install normally.

anchor 13:11 05 Feb 2009

I am using AVG free 7.5 with Zone Alarm. Both run perfectly side by side. Updates for the AVG come through daily.

Gave up with AVG 8 after so many problems.

T I M B O 13:31 05 Feb 2009

anchor, yes i have heard that there are problems with 8, but i hear good storys too. Some have said also that 8 is clunky so they moved over to avast.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?