Zone Alarm Won't Let Me on the Net

AJ25 17:34 04 Jan 2006

I recently installed Zone Alarm as a firewall. Now every time I try to connect to the new, the homepage fails to load. There are no messages at all. When I shut down ZA, the page loads immediately. Norton is still running and there are no problems with that.

Any help welcome

Halmer 17:41 04 Jan 2006

Is there a firewall running in Norton as well?

AJ25 17:45 04 Jan 2006

Yes

alB 17:47 04 Jan 2006

double click the zone alarm icon and go to program control, select programs and look for the entry for your web browser (IE etc) make sure there is a green tick in the access column for both trusted and internet (if its a question mark or a red cross click and change to the green tick) ...alB

GuZ><0r 17:49 04 Jan 2006

Disable the Norton firewall aswell. It is not good to have 2 firewalls running at the same time as they can clash.

Halmer 17:52 04 Jan 2006

I would try alB's suggestion first.

You may get away with ZA and Norton firewalls ruuning at the same time but I wouldn't have thought that you need both. Someone who knows more than me may advise you on this later but I'm aware as GuZ><Or says that there can be conflicts.

AJ25 18:01 04 Jan 2006

I checked in the program control and my browser is ticked as recommended.

alB 20:27 04 Jan 2006

Open up your ZA again and on the firewall tab choose main, try turning down the security settings to medium on both the Internet zone and Trusted zone sliders...alB

AJ25 21:02 04 Jan 2006

alB

That did the job. IT works now! But am I adequately protected? I want to get ZA to be my firewall but can't turn off Norton until I can be sure ZA is doing the job

alB 21:27 04 Jan 2006

Mine is set at HIGH for internet zone and MEDIUM for trusted zone, I think these are the default settings, try yours at these settings and see if you can access the net, even at medium on both I think you should be protected, I'm sure somebody will let us know if that's not the case...alB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?