zone alarm update problem

howard64 19:28 06 Dec 2008

todays update froze my pc and I had to do a system restore in safe mode but now it connects for a few minutes and disconnects me. Zone alarm is now not showing and I cannot check its settings. Does anyone know how to get to its settings when it is obviously running but not showing in the task bar etc.

MAT ALAN 19:35 06 Dec 2008

Uninstalling and resinstalling the prog usually helps...

howard64 19:49 06 Dec 2008

unfortunately I cannot stop the true vector service and therefore cannot uninstall. The event viewer is showing error 7000 and 7009

Miké 20:26 06 Dec 2008

Try uninstalling it from safe mode.

First Bass 22:44 06 Dec 2008

There is something seriously wrong with Zone Alarm Updates these days. I had problems with user switching (three users on this XP home OS machine)after (as I discovered later) installing the latest ZA update. I had spent 2-3 hours trying to uninstall this and that to resolve the switching problem until I got to this posting and thought "oh no, not again" as there had been a mega problem with ZA and windows updates earlier this year.

steve0 23:03 06 Dec 2008

Same thing happened to me. Locked up machine - had to go to safe mode to uninstall. Have put back previous version and computer now runs OK

First Bass 23:24 06 Dec 2008

The problem is definitely with ZA (or a combination of ZA and windows updates). I uninstalled ZA and everything worked fine, then I reinstalled an earlier version and the problem returned. Any recommendations for an alternative firewall? Is Windows firewall adequate?

howard64 07:31 07 Dec 2008

thanks Mike I had to go to safe mode with administrator no network to uninstall za. I am now reinstalling and will let you know what happens. I think the time has come to move to another firewall.

howard64 07:33 07 Dec 2008

various people on this site recomment Comodo Firewall Pro (freeware)

howard64 09:58 07 Dec 2008

the za reinstall produced the same problems. I have now removed za and installed comodo and it seems fine.

Batch 11:52 07 Dec 2008

There really isn't much need to keep updating firewall software unless there is a known problem / risk. A firewall is basically a static piece of software that sits in the background doing its job. Contrast with anti-virus which needs its virus signature files updated very frequently (e.g. every day).

BTW, I tried using comodo but found it very fussy and difficult to get it to stay set up the way I wanted it to. One of their support guys admited to me that there was a disconect between the firewall engine developers and the user interface developers such that changes made via the user interface didn't always get registered with the engine - seemingly due to bad version control in their software libraries. Not very reassuring at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?