Zone Alarm - update problem.

badgery 14:04 20 Apr 2007

Updated to latest ZA free, but keep getting randomly closed , then files dumped, then "Windows has recovered from a serious error" message. Occurs a couple of times a day.
I decided to go back and install version 6.5.737.000, and not had any problem since.
But will using the non-updated version mean I have less protection?

Marko797 14:16 20 Apr 2007

I would have thought so (on less protection), unless u get the updates for it that bring the older version up-t-date. Have u tried un-installing then re-installing the 'latest free' version?

badgery 15:02 20 Apr 2007

Yes, still does the same, been struggling with it for about a week before finally going back to earlier install.
Will have to maybe try an alternative to ZA - any suggestions?

Hieronimous 15:05 20 Apr 2007

This problem happened to me. Zone Alarm could not close itself down in order to update but it did manage to render itself unconscious, at which stage I could not revert to 6.5.731.000. I, and many others, have been having problems running Torpark ( a secure web browser ) with Zone Alarm - it apparently works OK with other firewalls, so I started looking for an alternative. I have now settled on Sunbelt Kerio Firewall which is free, gets good reviews and works! So it's goodbye to Zone Alarm - there are others.

badgery 15:20 20 Apr 2007

Cheers, I will maybe give that one a go! Do you have a link?

Hieronimous 15:46 20 Apr 2007

Try click here You can see the free version, I believe it runs as a full version for 30 days then as a free version - a bit like the selection on the Zone Alarm downloads. It gets 5 cows on the tucows ratings

badgery 15:50 20 Apr 2007

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?