Zone alarm unsupported

geoff47 22:58 06 Jul 2006

I am using win98 and when updating Zonealarm the download says it is not suitable for win 98 and refuses to load.
When perusing their site it seems zonealarm is no longer any good for us older type OS users.

Should I change my Firewall?
And which is the next best freebie?

johnnyrocker 23:05 06 Jul 2006

sygate.

johnny.

brundle 23:07 06 Jul 2006

Some alternatives here click here - Kerio is 2k/XP only too, but
the others will work as far as I know. Failing that just stick with your current ZA, the chances of someone taking advantage of `holes` in your current version of ZA to personally hack you are so remote it's not worth considering.

geoff47 23:13 06 Jul 2006

Is the general consensus to remain with Zonealarm?
I know I am not a prime target....but would feel better in the knowledge that my firewall was up to date.

brundle 23:15 06 Jul 2006

Windows 98 is less secure overall than 2000 or XP, you're patching holes in a leaking bucket. Sygate will do the job as johnnyrocker says, but your OS is way out of date, why worry about the latest version of ZA leaving you insecure?

geoff47 02:38 07 Jul 2006

Are you saying I should upgrade....or that it doesn't matter?
I am sure any problems would be directed at current up to date OS than outdated versions....should I change Firewalls or not?

961 08:31 07 Jul 2006

I understand you can download earlier versions of Zone Alarm and suggest that while you have w98 you stick with an earlier issue which will be effective as a firewall for home use

I wouldn't go beyond ZA and the basic firewall engine is ok for you

geoff47 16:17 07 Jul 2006

That will do for me........ Thanks 961

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?