Zone Alarm system checkup??

newman35 10:56 23 Sep 2007

Have used ZA (Free), AVG, Adaware and Spybot regularly over the years.
This morning an 'update' came thru from ZA with the offer of a 'Checkup'.
This checkup then tells me that I appear to have many things wrong, although I have never had any problems with viruses etc (touching wood, now!).

The results say all the following 'failed' :-
Active spyware infections
Security flaws check
System security settings
Security zone settings
Internet/system performance
System clutter

Should I be worried?
It does then recommend their product to cure these things, naturally.
Being a great believer in 'If it 'ain't broke...' I am tempted to ignore - but any advice out there?

Totally-braindead 11:14 23 Sep 2007

I personally wouldn't buy a product, regardless of who made it, that said it found problems on my PC and offered to fix it only if I bought said product especially when my PC was running fine.

I would ignore it. I have noticed a few postings this week about Zone Alarm firewall and there does seem to be some "problems" with the latest update. To be honest I'm considering switching to another free firewall like comodo and ditching ZA, at the moment I've stopped it updating itself till I make my mind up.

If there are problems with it its a damn shame as I've been using it for years and been very happy.

newman35 11:22 23 Sep 2007

Thanks for your view, just about identical to mine - I refused the latest update, too, for the same reasons.
Like you, I'm thinking of switching - but with regrets, as ZA has been good.

skidzy 11:22 23 Sep 2007

I can only echo Totally-braindead's advice;

We have seen a few of these threads now regarding Zonealarm and the checkup.
My advice is to ignore this,just another ploy for you to part with your money.
There are plenty of free programs that will mantain your computer.
Though Zonealarm has been a top product for many years now this checkpoint update really is not needed,i personally will not be uninstalling it untill forced to do so.

newman35 11:30 23 Sep 2007

Thanks for the advice - we all seem at one on this.

jakimo 11:44 23 Sep 2007

ZA free firewall still remains a good & reliable product,but the "free check your system for spyware\virus software offers" no matter who the providers, will always find your Hd infested with non existent nasties, its your money there after

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?