Zone Alarm Pro what don't I need?

legalrep 20:23 13 Oct 2009

Hi everyone a little advice and your thoughts would be much appreciated. I currently have the following programs installed

Avast
Ad-aware
CCleaner
Malwarebytes
Revo uninstaller
Spybot
Spyware blaster
FileHippo Update Checker
Windows Defender

I have just downloaded and installed Zone Alarm Pro for free from their website do I still need all the above or do some do the same job?

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:27 13 Oct 2009

Ye gods! All you need is Avast, malawarebytes, Ccleaner and common sense. I would not have even bothered with zonealarm, windows firewall and a router is more than enough.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:28 13 Oct 2009

Oh and dump windows defender as it is little better than useless. click here

G

legalrep 21:00 13 Oct 2009

Thanks Gandolf I guess I live by the old saying better safe than sorry! LOL maybe I uninstall the others as advised!

morddwyd 10:07 14 Oct 2009

Get rid of either the belt or the braces on your trousers at the same time!

legalrep 10:31 14 Oct 2009

thanks morddwyd but what happens if one fails!!!!!

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:03 14 Oct 2009

Do you carry 4 spare tyres in your car to cover multiple, sametime failures? It is not as bad as you assume on the net and there is a load of rubbish talked about supposed 'security' threats.

G

OTT_Buzzard 12:52 14 Oct 2009

I'd also ditch Spybot. Keep it on the computer if you want, just prevent it from automatically starting up.

Incidentally, having more than one antivirus running can cause more harmt han good. You tend to get false positives as well as both of them missing legit targets.

Revo Uninstaller is next to useless if you have CCleaner.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017