Zone Alarm - outgoing DNS/DHCP

Carafaraday 12:30 06 Oct 2006

I've just got broadband installed. I am having intermittent problems with connection to websites (although email is working fine) and read somewhere else on this site about ticking the box to enable outgoing DMS/DHCP in Zone Alarm. This seems to have sorted the problem in the meantime but I wonder what exactly I have done? I believe I could also have 'manually set my IP address' but am not sure how to do that.
Any advice/comments welcome.

Carafaraday 13:46 06 Oct 2006

Is it a 'safer' option to manually set IP address? I can see thta Zone Alarm has blocked it several times this morning and I presume I can change the settings in some way? Advice and encouragement needed!

patsyanne 15:04 06 Oct 2006

Carafaraday.Zone alarm has a help page,i have problems with Zone alarm as well so i have been looking on there for the answer.There is a forum on there as well.

anskyber 15:27 06 Oct 2006

This recommendation for ZA suggests you are OK but does not say why. Look about half way down the text. click here

anskyber 15:28 06 Oct 2006

Again here. click here

anskyber 15:35 06 Oct 2006

Finally. click here They all seem to be saying the same thing. Why, sorry I cannot help but at least you can see you are not alone.

Carafaraday 15:43 06 Oct 2006

Patsyanne and anskyber
Thanks for these links - lots of relevant information to read.

anskyber 15:47 06 Oct 2006

OK. There will be others here who are more knowledgable than me. I have read around the issue. (I have ZA also)

The answer seems to relate to the type of access you have to the internet with your ISP. DHCP is Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. Putting it simply if you ISP provides a dynamic ip address rather than fixed you will need to recognise that through the firewall. In effect allowing access permits the reading by the firewall of the new address and thereby provide your internet access.

If I am wrong others will say so pretty soon!

Carafaraday 16:04 06 Oct 2006

anskyber
Thanks. Looks like plenty of people have been similarly affected by the combination of broadband and zonealarm - safety in numbers I hope! I won't mark this as resolved yet just in case anyone has further input but many thanks for your help.

patsyanne 21:53 06 Oct 2006

Well i have sorted my firewall problem out,i have uninstalled Zone Alarm and got the free version of Comodo and every thing is ok now .

Carafaraday 22:40 06 Oct 2006

Patsyanne
Thank you, Patsyanne, for your input. I have been happy with Zone Alarm over the last few years, so don't want to have to chamge. Any further comments welcome.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone