Zone Alarm newbie

avesnes 07:19 16 Jan 2007

I've just started to use ZA. When a program requests permission to access the internet, a pop-up box appears with the choice of "Allow" or "Deny". There is also a "Remenber this setting" box (or words to that effect)and I was wondering if ticking that box has a permanent effect or does it last only for the current session while your computer is switched on? Thanks in advance for any comment.

Mr Mistoffelees 07:27 16 Jan 2007

"Remember this setting", when ticked, is a permanent setting, so you do not have to allow or deny permission every time a program requests to connect to the Internet.

avesnes 07:42 16 Jan 2007

Mr Mistoffelees. Thanks for the reply. If I wanted to reverse a ticked "Remember this setting" box, is there a way to access the box to do so or am I missing something obvious?

Mr Mistoffelees 07:54 16 Jan 2007

I'm not familiar with Zone Alarm, the "Remember this setting" function is common to all software firewalls. You should be able to access, and revise, program permissions with the program window open. Perhaps another ZA user can give you specific help.

estabond 07:57 16 Jan 2007

open zone alarm (double click task bar item) choose program control on left, then progrmmes tab. Progs are listed in alphabet order and a left click in the appropriate box gives the option of changing from/to Allow/Block /Ask

avesnes 08:01 16 Jan 2007

Many thanks for the swift replies - I've got the idea now and I'll close this thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone