Zone Alarm Free Edition

pj123 14:42 13 Apr 2004

Just downloaded Zone Alarm Free Edition on a friends computer (same spec as mine) Win98SE. 40gb HDD, 256mb SDRAM. But when trying to install we get "Validation failed for c:\windows\temp\vsinit.dll" What's that all about please. It works OK on my computer.

Yo Ho 14:59 13 Apr 2004

If you have a PC Advisor CD, try loading from that. I have just used it with no problems, on Win2000.

Djohn 15:02 13 Apr 2004

Pete. Ask if the PC has had a version of Zonealarm on it before? If so it will need to be removed thoroughly before a new install will take place. j.

VoG II 15:04 13 Apr 2004

You could try asking at click here

pj123 15:16 13 Apr 2004

John, yes he did have Zonealarm on it previously but uninstalled it, and he does get a message on screen everytime he boots (not sure what it is) but the last line says "Press any key to continue" and it boots OK. I reckoned the best bet was to re-install Zonealarm and then un-install again to overcome that problem. We downloaded ZA again to do just that but it won't install. The un-install was done from Start, Settings, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programmes and seemed to go OK.

VoG™. thank you for the link, will study it.

The next time I see him is Tuesday 20th April so it would be nice to have an answer for him.

VoG II 15:22 13 Apr 2004

How to do a thorough uninstall click here

pj123 15:55 13 Apr 2004

VoG™. Another thanks but that is for ZA Pro? The file that is causing the problem is vsutil.dll which is how I found out that it was ZA causing the problem. This file is "missing" so can I just copy this file to his computer?

Stuartli 16:02 13 Apr 2004

Have you tried running SFC (System File Checker)?

Key in SFC or sfc into Start>Run and follow the prompts.

VoG II 16:03 13 Apr 2004

I think the uninstall instructions also apply to the free version.

You could try just copying the .dll but I wonder if that might not work if that file is registered during the installation process.

Djohn 16:23 13 Apr 2004

As VoG™ says, it also applies to the free version. Zonealarm although an excellent program can be quite difficult to remove completely unless you use their un-installer. j.

QQAA 05:30 14 Apr 2004

try "RegSeeker" click here or/and other freeware registry cleaners as it might be able to remove the erratic entries due to prior ZoneAlarm installations.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone