Zone Alarm denying Internet Access

taffjones 17:17 24 Feb 2008

I'm running Win XP Home edition and have Zone Alarm as my firewall and AVG Free Edition as my anti virus. Recently I have been unable to access the internet. When I turn Zone Alarm off, I am then able to access the internet with no problems. Now and again Zone Alarm will come up with the following error code:
"The firewall has blocked local network access to BTHomeub.home (IP address)(DNS) from your computer
Program: Generic Host Process fro Win 32 Services

Does anybody have any idea what's going on? It's only started to happen in the last few days.

taffjones 17:51 24 Feb 2008

In addition to my intial posting, I use Internet Explorer 7 and FireFox and it happens on both.

birdface 18:04 24 Feb 2008

You have to configure it to allow your local network Access to BTHomehub.home Now its that long since I had Zone alarm that i cant remember how you do it.You can disable zone alarm at the moment and turn on Windows firewall till you get it sorted.

birdface 18:07 24 Feb 2008

If you get confused about what to allow or deny.I would think of changing Firewalls.Kerio Free is Quite good.If in doubt just use Windows firewall.

tullie 18:52 24 Feb 2008

Wouldent advise using windows firewall with xp.

mfletch 19:01 24 Feb 2008

Hi,

Right click on your Zone Alarm icon close to the clock and click on Restore zone alarm control center,

Then click on Program control

Then scroll down the list to Generic Host Process then put a tick in the following,

Two ticks in Access {trusted and internet}
And one tick in Server { trusted }

mfletch

peter99co 23:08 24 Feb 2008

Why not on xp (windows firewall)?

tullie 05:49 25 Feb 2008

Because the Windows XP Firewall is not very good

mfletch 16:37 25 Feb 2008

Windows firewall can only scan and block incoming Internet traffic you need a firewall that will also scan and block out going traffic

mfletch

taffjones 13:47 29 Feb 2008

I uninstalled Zone Alarm Free and loaded Kerio Free as suggested by buteman but exactly the same thing was happening with that application as well! I uninstalled Kerio and downloaded/installed Zone Alarm Free yet again and this time it worked??!!
Thanks to you all for the advice

davidprc 12:45 08 Mar 2008

tullie

WFW in fact is a very good FW. It does not monitor outgoing traffic but that is not the prime purpose of FW.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?