Zone Alarm continually conntecting to internet

Carafaraday 09:07 15 Dec 2006

After updating yesterday ZA is continually connecting to the internet then disconnecting and reconnecting within 10 seconds.
Windows XP (SP2). AVG, Ad Aware, Skybot all up to date and run today. All temp files, cookies etc deleted. I haven't made any recent changes or visited any unusual websites. Any suggestions as to what could be causing this and how I can stop it happening? I tried control/alt/delete to see if I could see what programme or app. was trying to connect but no luck.

Stuartli 09:15 15 Dec 2006

Try configuring ZA for manual updates rather than automatic.

As updates are comparatively rare it's not necessary to Enable automatic updates.

Carafaraday 09:51 15 Dec 2006

Thanks, Stuartli - I've done that but the connection problem is still ongoing. Could someone who uses ZA kindly check whether maybe my settings are at fault somewhere. They are as follows:-

ZA - tick, tick X, X
WW NT Logon - tick, tick, ?,?
WW explorer - tick, tick, ?,?
Services & Contr - tick, tick, ?,?
Run a DLL as an App - tik, tick, ?,?
OE - tick, tick, ?,?
I/E - tick, tick, ?,?
LSA Shell (Expo V) tick, tick, ?<?
Generic Host Proced - tick, tick, tick, X
AVG email - tick, tick ?,?
Adaware ?,?,?,?

I thought I might try changing some of these to see if that makes a difference but ZA warns that could cause problems and I'm not brave enough to go ahead!

Stuartli 10:32 15 Dec 2006

AdAware should have the first two ? ticked.

No reason for Windows Explorer to be ticked.

Try reinstalling ZA, but make sure that you reboot as and when necessary when doing so.

Carafaraday 10:33 15 Dec 2006

Is there any way I can find what programme/application is causing ZA to continually connect and disconnect? I have told it to ask if IE, AVG, and OE want to connect - if I try to change the settings for anything else I am warned not to.............

Gongoozler 10:37 15 Dec 2006

Hi Carafaraday. The settings you have listed should only cause ZoneAlarm to pop up a box saying that program X is trying to access the internet, not ZoneAlarm. ZoneAlarm itself should only access the internet to check for updates. What is the message you are getting?

anskyber 10:39 15 Dec 2006

My ZA settings are similar to yours, certainly for the update part for ZA.

Task Manager should show you which processes are running when you are connected.

Carafaraday 10:40 15 Dec 2006

Stuartli - Thank you so much for replying. Adaware did originally have first two ticked - I just changed that to check if it was the problem. I'm just not sure whether it's ZA that's the problem or one of the applications/programmes which are allowed to connect.
I am also a bit nervous of re-installing ZA - would I have to uninstall first?

Carafaraday 10:43 15 Dec 2006

Gongoozler - thanks for your reply. No message just the red and yellow ZA box flashing briefly then returned to ZA, then flashing again.

Anskyber - Task manager shows around 37 processes but none are showing signs of activity even when the ZA icon on the taskbar is flashing.

Carafaraday 10:44 15 Dec 2006

Stuartli - ZA tells me I shouldn't change settings for Windows Explorer...............?

Gongoozler 10:52 15 Dec 2006

My ZoneAlarm setting for Windows Explorer is ? ? ? ?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires