zone alarm configurations

lewis187 17:04 18 Apr 2004

i have zome alarm 4.0 and i use it to 'protect' my pc yet a friend (who thinks he is in the know on how to hack...we all know one !) reckons he pinged me and was tracking what i do as i have not properly configuredmy ZA...
being the stubborn person i am i dont want to ask him how to do this so i turned to u ...
i would like to be protected hide my personal details yet a the same time be able to use the internet as normal and most importantly share files through msn and have web-cam/audio conversations securely from behind my ZA as this has been a problem recently with my file transfer rate on msn being lower than 3kb/s even though u have a 1mb connection !!
any help would be greately appreciated as i would love to stay secure and as far as i know ZA is a popular firewall so surely someone has got it and is working securely with it
..thanks again
lewis

rawprawn 17:23 18 Apr 2004

Try downloading Windows Service Pack 2 Beta, that might keep him away. I know it is a beta version but I have been running it for 2/3 weeks with no problems, and you can always uninstall.

rawprawn 17:25 18 Apr 2004

PS, Make sur ZA is set to high in internet zone/ firewall

lewis187 17:45 18 Apr 2004

i have always got it on high and what does the service pack do? and where may i obtain it?
By the way what is pinging? !

interzone55 18:07 18 Apr 2004

1) pay a visit to grc.com & do a full port scan. if the report comes back as full stealth your friend was lying.

2) XP Service pack 2 includes an updated firewall that stops unauthorised outgoing as well as incoming traffic, and is switched on by default, this may cause problems with Zone Alarm though.

3) You can get XP SP2 from click here
but beware, it's only a beta, so is not guaranteed (microsoft software never is anyway) and it's a massive download.

rawprawn 18:30 18 Apr 2004

SP 2 Does not seem to cause me any trouble with ZA, it just doesn't let me change ZA settings through the Control Panel(new to SP2). Other than that no problems.

rawprawn 18:32 18 Apr 2004

Sorry pinging, do not worry too much about this. Turn off alerts & logs. you won't see it again.

astra46 18:52 18 Apr 2004

I have the free Zonealarm and AVG. Is it worth me downloading the Microsoft XP SP2?

interzone55 21:17 18 Apr 2004

Thanks for that info...

I am currently running Zone Alarm Pro 4, but my Origo router has just been updated, via a firmware update, to include a firewall, at first this caused some problems, enough for me to temporarily remove ZA.

I had a collegue who knows much more about these things reinstall it and configure it for me to get rid of the problems

rawprawn 08:19 19 Apr 2004

As I told lewis187 you can always uninstall if you don't like it. Give it a whirl. One word of warning it is 279,770 kb so if you haven't got broadband I wouldn't bother.

Stuartli 08:36 19 Apr 2004

Here's one definitive guide to configuring ZoneAlarm's Free version:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?